Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Sufferer from Panic Disorder & Anxiety - Questions  (Read 158 times)

Offline Darkhouss

• Rec's: 0
  • KCCO
    • Poke This Member
Sufferer from Panic Disorder & Anxiety - Questions
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:36:59 AM »
Hey everyone ,

I'm 24 years old and have been suffering with panic attacks and anxiety for around 10 years.. Me and my girlfriend of 7 years have just bought a house and stresses are now peaking for both of us. Unfortunately for me that means my anxiety levels are off the scales.

I haven't had a professional opinion on my condition in years however it's got worse , after reading threw a lot of posts on here I realize my symptoms match so many other people on here.

So just as a quick rundown on my symptoms and attacks before I ask a question to all you fellow anxiety and panic sufferers out there.. For starters I smoke about 15-20 cigarets a day depending on my anxiety levels , I also tend to have 1-2 beer in the evenings every other day after work. The worse of my anxiety and panic attacks is after meals and primarily late morning after drinking my daily LG Coffee at around 8am..  By 11 PM Probably 3-4 days out of my 5 day work week I feel terrible sometimes I have very bad panic attacks , racing thoughts , racing heart , nausea , sweating ,   and I just need to leave the building and go sit in my car for 15-20 minutes to find reality again.. Sometimes they'll be intense enough to leave me drained and tired for the rest of the day.. If however my anxiety stays peaked from 11 pm on , I can't even eat lunch without having symptoms of IBS less then an hour after eating , then that triggers another panic attack on occasion. I average about 1-2 panic attacks a day 3-5 days a week and almost all of them are within 1-2 hours after eating a meal. However there's also times in the evening I feel as if I can't " Turn off " like I'm still wound up from rushing around the shop at work , and that sometimes triggers anxiety and a panic attack at night , it feels as though it controls my life sometimes , it's hard on me and my relationship as I fear going to public places because I don't want to induce a panic attack from an uncomfortable situation I hate it. It's stopped me from applying to college this year because I'm worried the extra stress is going to force me to worry more about anxiety then school.

My question to you to generate some conversation! -

- Can anyone out there relate their panic attacks and anxiety with eating ?

- Has anyone noticed by eliminating caffein or nicotine even if it's a smaller dose from their diet and routine to have big benefits to their anxiety?

- How do you take control of a panic attack when one comes on?

Today I've eliminated my morning coffee and feel a lot calmer overall so far , it's now almost 9 and I feel completely relaxed. I hope it continues ..

I noticed a lot of people apologize for writing long posts , but there's so much to explain I think it's easy for all us to get into a ramble.

Keep calm everyone !
Bookmark and Share
~ Keep Calm , Carry on ~

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sufferer from Panic Disorder & Anxiety - Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:00:42 AM »
Hello DH...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone.  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

I will share with you, something that my therapist and I discussed recently.  Part of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), teaches you that anxiety, is "just" anxiety, and nothing else, and that includes panic attacks.  She asked me, "Was there a time you could do anything and everything, and not have any anxiety over it?"  The answer to that question was "Yes!"  That being the case, with panic disorder, it is your mind that sets-up what appears to be possible triggers, like having increased anxiety during or after eating.  It's like the adage which came first, the chicken or the egg?  Anxiety came first, and your mind ties its increase or panic attacks, to a trigger.

Also, right now you are what is called sensitized.  You are so into a hyper-anxious state, that small things that never bothered you in the past, can send you flying.  I'll give you an example.  When I recently was having 24/7 anxiety, if the phone rang it would make me jump out of my seat, and now that I no longer have 24/7 anxiety, when the phone rings it don't even twitch.  Because of this hyper-anxious state that you are in, it would be best for you to do a number of thinks which will take a little of the edge off.  Caffeine, nicotine (smoking cigarettes), and drinking alcohol, all increase anxiety in the long run.  When I had 24/7 anxiety, I cut out caffeine completely.  I had a cup of chamomile tea in the morning, rather than coffee, and it helped.  I never smoked, but when you do, it might appear that your anxiety diminishes when you finish a cigarette.  This only occurs because your body is addicted to nicotine, which is one of the most addictive substances known to mankind, and so you have temporally calmed your craving.  As the nicotine wears-off, the anxiety begins to build again.  And alcohol is a depressant, so it also temporally "numbs" the anxiety, but in the long run, makes it worse.

With your history, and what is currently going on with you, I suggest that you consider seeing a psychiatrist.  Psychiatrists are medical doctors, so they can provide you with a diagnosis, prescribe medication if necessary, and set-up a treatment plan tailored just for you.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions, DH.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »
Hi DK  :action-smiley-065:

The last suggestion from CHUCK - I agree 100% - I strongly recommend you see a Psychiatrist as part of your recovery plan. :yes:

And NO - it's not as scary as it sounds, you will be very glad you did.

With a history of the following:  :sick0002:

- buying a house
- 15-20 cigarettes a day depending on my anxiety levels
- 1-2 beer in the evenings every other day after work.
- drinking my daily LG Coffee at around 8am
- I have very bad panic attacks , racing thoughts , racing heart , nausea , sweating ,   
- I can't even eat lunch without having symptoms of IBS less then an hour after eating ,
- I average about 1-2 panic attacks a day 3-5 days a week and almost all of them are within 1-2 hours after eating a meal.
- panic attack at night ,

Yes, I have been there -  The price that your paying is way too high for someone as young as you are, and you mentioned it is affecting your relationship - Yes, been there too!

When I was your age 24, (I am now 54 and I now have two children that your age :yes:) I was going through the same thing and lost everything - college, girlfriend, Job...my self-esteem and dignity - the cost was way too high!!!  :angry:

My 2 cents :twocents:   from my heart  :happy0062:,  from someone who has already been there,:

1)  I would get an appointment with a family doctor, and make sure there is no other Physical Problems - that may be causing this anxiety.

2)  Like CHUCK, mentioned above, you will need to get a Psychiatrist on your team to help you make some changes and get proper diagnosis, think of him as your Partner in Helping you stabilize and regain your life.

3)  Learn, Learn, Learn, - Knowledge is indeed Power!- there many good resources that will help you regain your life - take ADVANTAGE OF THEM!  This information is more valuable than gold  :yes:

I wish I had these when I was going through my Panic Disorder, and Anxiety attacks.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHpanic.pdf - Self Test for Panic Disorder.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHgad.pdf  - GAD – Self Test

http://www.anxietyzone.com/MENANDDE-coverpage(1).pdf – Depression for men

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMH317.406_F_TSH_treatable.pdf  - Depression is Treatable

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,26.0.html – Social Anxiety overview

4) You already know, that it is time to begin a journey of "Changing Your Lifestyle" - no, it's not easy - but the investment will pay back 100x your EFFORTS.  (you already know that 20 cigareets - 2 beers everyday - drinking too much coffee = is not helping you - But, even some small steps can change your life for the better :grinning-smiley-003:.)

5) In the End - Only you can take the ACTION NEEDED.

My only wish for you, is that you are ready to seek answers and take action, you will SOON FIND yourself back in control of your life, relationships will be greatly improved, you will back in college, and living a quality life - you are only 24! - with a bright future ahead of you  :nature-smiley-016: - TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY to regain your life and make yourself happy!

Make sure you to take a look and do a self-quiz on the links to some great resources!

Side Note: 
If you ready to take action to help yourself and need support, you can send me a PM (personal message) I would be happy to help!  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Darkhouss

• Rec's: 0
  • KCCO
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 05:29:57 PM »
Hello DH...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone.  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

I will share with you, something that my therapist and I discussed recently.  Part of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), teaches you that anxiety, is "just" anxiety, and nothing else, and that includes panic attacks.  She asked me, "Was there a time you could do anything and everything, and not have any anxiety over it?"  The answer to that question was "Yes!"  That being the case, with panic disorder, it is your mind that sets-up what appears to be possible triggers, like having increased anxiety during or after eating.  It's like the adage which came first, the chicken or the egg?  Anxiety came first, and your mind ties its increase or panic attacks, to a trigger.

Also, right now you are what is called sensitized.  You are so into a hyper-anxious state, that small things that never bothered you in the past, can send you flying.  I'll give you an example.  When I recently was having 24/7 anxiety, if the phone rang it would make me jump out of my seat, and now that I no longer have 24/7 anxiety, when the phone rings it don't even twitch.  Because of this hyper-anxious state that you are in, it would be best for you to do a number of thinks which will take a little of the edge off.  Caffeine, nicotine (smoking cigarettes), and drinking alcohol, all increase anxiety in the long run.  When I had 24/7 anxiety, I cut out caffeine completely.  I had a cup of chamomile tea in the morning, rather than coffee, and it helped.  I never smoked, but when you do, it might appear that your anxiety diminishes when you finish a cigarette.  This only occurs because your body is addicted to nicotine, which is one of the most addictive substances known to mankind, and so you have temporally calmed your craving.  As the nicotine wears-off, the anxiety begins to build again.  And alcohol is a depressant, so it also temporally "numbs" the anxiety, but in the long run, makes it worse.

With your history, and what is currently going on with you, I suggest that you consider seeing a psychiatrist.  Psychiatrists are medical doctors, so they can provide you with a diagnosis, prescribe medication if necessary, and set-up a treatment plan tailored just for you.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions, DH.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:

Both chuck and yourself have given very inspirational responses and I appreciate it. I do want to make some changes to improve my situation but what bothers me is sometimes I can go weeks or longer without having many attacks at all. Everytime I'm moved far out of my comfort zone , or am under a lot of stress it triggers my anxiety and just continuously loops for days and sometimes weeks. I don't believe I have any physical health issues as I've taken notice that if I'm particularly busy doing something I enjoy I almost forget I even have high anxiety and panic attacks. My current job requires me to sit still and watch machinery for hours 9-10 hours a day , and sometimes my thoughts will wonder into areas that trigger anxiety because of  the sheer boredom. I say this because during the winter months I'm particularly busy , I work my 40 hour a week job , and then work for a local snow removal company on the weekends , and I have little to no symptoms of anxiety sometimes for 2-3 months and feel content , but for some reason when I have a lot of time on my hands such as my regular job " standing still for hours " and my brain gets working overtime on the stresses of life it triggers attacks and literally ruins my day.. If I'm busy with something all day I enjoy doing I won't even think about it .. I can have a " normal " day and not think twice about anxiety..

I've been a smoker for about 6 years , I've tried to quit numerous times and I'm goin to dedicate myself to quitting again very soon.. This whole thing frustrates me like crazy because I KNOW my mind is basically " creating " the anxiety and tension , I worry too much. I agree with both you and chuck I should seek a physiatrist. I just feel as though I'm a strong enough person to fight this on my own!
The community here is awesome there's tons of inspirational threads here , and just reading as much as I did " at work because my job is so dull and I have the time " today it literally made my day today exceptionally stress free knowing there's more people out there who fight this , and are getting threw it and learning to lead normal lives ,, I will keep responding to anymore posts here and sharing with others in their threads , I feel as though this website alone is doing me good " May sound stupid " haha.. Thanks for making my day exceptionally better today.

Stay calm everyone ~

JH
Bookmark and Share
~ Keep Calm , Carry on ~

Tags: