Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Food is getting stuck, hard to breath  (Read 114 times)

Offline Daxter

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Food is getting stuck, hard to breath
« on: June 25, 2014, 07:30:10 AM »
Thick mucus is plugging up my throat so much that I've experienced all sorts of symptoms I never did before, and they're giving me panic attacks. I tried to eat rice yesterday, and a prawn cracker today; both got stuck in my throat on the way down. When they did I found my airways clogged with mucus, and I almost lost my vision and balance being unable to breath. My body made me gasp for air  but I still couldn't get the air past the mucus.

I felt so horrible I broke into tears, but even after crying all the stress out of me I still couldn't breath properly. I had to really clear my throat to do it, after which my throat felt really tight for a long time.

The problem is still going today. I've been suspecting reflux for a long time, but it's never done this to me before; I've been short of breath with mucus blocking me up before, but food hasn't gotten stuck before. It's terrifying and makes me worry my oesophagus is beyond repair.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Food is getting stuck, hard to breath
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 07:44:23 AM »
Is food actually getting stuck, or is it just the sensation? I usually have a sensation of food getting stuck, or moving slowly down my throat, with acid reflux, but I've never had it actually get stuck before. If you're clearly getting food stuck, and it's either coming back up or you're digging it back out, clearly from your throat, then you need to see somebody. If it's just the sensation, and there's no physical evidence it's not 'going down', then that is very much a symptom of reflux. your throat is irritated, sensitive, and tight. You need to get the reflux treated :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »
You said Mucus is clogging the airway so are you taking anything for your sinuses ? If not like Rap_Talon said you need to see a someone like a ENT - Ear,Nose and Throat Doctor or most family doctors can give you something for Sinus Drainage or could be allergies.

We do have problems swallowing when we have anxiety and panic then we keep focusing on how we swallow and then we cause it ourselves and it does feel like we are going to choke .

Feel better and see a doctor to help you get rid of the mucus.
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Offline miika

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:18:53 AM »
I have this exact same problem on and off. In my case its reflux.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daxter

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:32:18 AM »
Is food actually getting stuck, or is it just the sensation? I usually have a sensation of food getting stuck, or moving slowly down my throat, with acid reflux, but I've never had it actually get stuck before. If you're clearly getting food stuck, and it's either coming back up or you're digging it back out, clearly from your throat, then you need to see somebody. If it's just the sensation, and there's no physical evidence it's not 'going down', then that is very much a symptom of reflux. your throat is irritated, sensitive, and tight. You need to get the reflux treated :)

The food is actually getting stuck; I have to swallow twice, maybe three times to get it down. I can't see anybody for another few weeks, not sure I can cope until then.

You said Mucus is clogging the airway so are you taking anything for your sinuses ? If not like Rap_Talon said you need to see a someone like a ENT - Ear,Nose and Throat Doctor or most family doctors can give you something for Sinus Drainage or could be allergies.

We do have problems swallowing when we have anxiety and panic then we keep focusing on how we swallow and then we cause it ourselves and it does feel like we are going to choke .

Feel better and see a doctor to help you get rid of the mucus.

I saw an ENT not too long ago, who said that my throat looked fine. He also checked me at the one time I had no problems. I don't have any allergies besides penicillin at present.

It's getting much worse; extending to thicker foods like bread now. Even water is getting stuck sometimes.

EDIT : What is happening to me?! I'm scared and petrified! I've broken down into tears again just now. I REFUSE TO LEAD A LIFE LIKE THIS. I CANNOT COPE. If those tests come back and say I have reflux, then I refuse to live with it when nothing can help me control it. It's awful, it's horrible, it's every time I eat, drink and do anything. It makes me break down every day multiple times; I cannot live like this much longer. I cannot just "suck it up and learn to cope" as it affects me in everything I do. I need someone to either cure me or kill me, I don't care which one anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: