Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone had no reaction to klonopin?  (Read 641 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone had no reaction to klonopin?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 07:19:41 PM »
I'm on 40 mg prozac.  I'll see how the klon goes in a few weeks. I seem to feel better this weekend.
Later I'll see what the pdoc recommends.  Thanks for everyone's input.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 02:27:24 AM »
Okay, coming to the end of the second week on Vitamin K (klonopin). Dose of 1 mg. I think I'm feeling the evenness. There is very little anxiety, dread or depression. One good sign is that I'm excited about revising my novel again. That's always a good sign. Today, I swam with a friend, saw my old pal Leepika from the anxiety meetup group, and had a buddhist planning meeting at my house. I take .5 mg in the am and .5 in the pm.

Sometimes I walk down the street and the weather is so perfect, I can't even sense it.  It's not hot, not cold, there's no breeze.
Maybe that's what recovery feels like.  No anxiety, dread, or depression.  You aren't even aware of those things.
Instead you walk through the world with your mind on bigger things. Things that are exciting and fun and just a little bit amazing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Boo.

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 10:49:36 PM »
Klonopin knocks me on my butt. LOL.

I take half-pills when I need them now and they help me sleep but that's about it. I don't notice it doing anything for my anxiety, really.
Bookmark and Share
"Just keep swimming..."

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 02:40:44 AM »
Well, good news.  After two weeks on klonopin, my GAD and depression have lessened greatly.
I feel much more myself most of the time.  My free time used to stress me out.  Now I use my free time
to work on projects that are important to me.  I still need to focus more and get more accomplished, but
gone are the lost hours of watching CNN and surfing the net.  I'm using my leisure time better
and connecting more with friends.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 04:31:30 PM »
Just thought I'd add my two cents: I take ativan (as needed not daily. It amounts to 2-3 0.5 mg tablets per week typically) and even though ativan has a quicker kick-in than klonopin my experience is similar to yours. I wouldn't say it makes me "mellow" or even relaxed. It doesn't make me "feel' any way at all, it just settles down the level of anxiety. I actually prefer it this way personally, as there is substance abuse in my family history so it's something of a relief that it doesn't affect me differently
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »
I wouldn't say it makes me "mellow" or even relaxed. It doesn't make me "feel' any way at all, it just settles down the level of anxiety.

That is the way benzodiazepines (BZDs) affect most with anxiety. We have fewer GABA-benzodiazepine binding1 sites than normal (as do epileptics2) and the ones we do have are less sensitive than they should be. BZDs overcome these deficits by extracting more out of what we do have returning our brains to something like a normal state.

Ian

References:

[1]
Hasler G, Nugent AC, Carlson PJ, et al. (2008)
Altered cerebral gamma-aminobutyric acid type A-benzodiazepine receptor binding in panic disorder determined by [11C]flumazenil positron emission tomography.
Arch Gen Psychiatry. Oct;65(10):1166-75 (Abstract)

Geuze E, van Berckel BN, Lammertsma AA, et al. (2007)
Reduced GABAA benzodiazepine receptor binding in veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder.
Mol Psychiatry. 2008 Jan;13(1):74-83 (Abstract)

Cameron OG, Huang GC, Nichols T, et al. (2007)
Reduced gamma-aminobutyric acid(A)-benzodiazepine binding sites in insular cortex of individuals with panic disorder.
Arch Gen Psychiatry. Jul;64(7):793-800. (Abstract)

Bremner JD, Innis RB, Southwick SM, et al. (2000)
"Decreased benzodiazepine receptor binding in prefrontal cortex in combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder."
Am J Psychiatry Jul; vol 157(7):1120-6 (Abstract)

Bremner JD, Innis RB, White T, et al (2000)
"SPECT [I-123]iomazenil measurement of the benzodiazepine receptor in panic disorder."
Biol Psychiatry  Jan 15; vol 47(2):96-106 (Abstract)

Malizia AL.  (1999)
"What do brain imaging studies tell us about anxiety disorders? "
J Psychopharmacol Dec; vol 13(4):372-8 (Abstract)

Morimoto K. 1999
Benzodiazepine receptor imaging in the brain: recent developments and clinical validity
Kaku Igaku. May;36(4):307-13. (Abstract)

Malizia AL, Cunningham VJ, Bell CJ, et al. (1998)
"Decreased brain GABA(A)-benzodiazepine receptor binding in panic disorder: preliminary results from a quantitative PET study."
Arch Gen Psychiatry Aug; vol 55(8):715-20 (Abstract)

Tokunaga M, Ida I, Higuchi T, Mikuni M. (1997)
"Alterations of benzodiazepine receptor binding potential in anxiety and somatoform disorders measured by 123I-iomazenil SPECT."
Radiat Med May-Jun; vol 15(3):163-9 (Abstract)

Uchiyama M, Sue H, Fukumitsu N, et al. (1997)
"Assessment of cerebral benzodiazepine receptor distribution in anxiety disorders by 123I-iomazenil-SPECT: comparison to cerebral perfusion scintigraphy by 123I-IMP."
Nippon Igaku Hoshasen Gakkai Zasshi Jan; vol 57(1):41-6 (Abstract)

[2]

Vivash L, Tostevin A, Liu DS, et al. (2011)
"Changes in hippocampal GABAA/cBZR density during limbic epileptogenesis: relationship to cell loss and mossy fibre sprouting."
Neurobiol Dis. Feb;41(2):227-36. [Abstract

Morimoto K.  (1999)
"Benzodiazepine receptor imaging in the brain: recent developments and clinical validity."
 Kaku Igaku May; vol 36(4):307-13 (Abstract)

Savic I, Pauli S, Thorell JO, Blomqvist G. (1994)
"In vivo demonstration of altered benzodiazepine receptor density in patients with generalised epilepsy."
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. Jul;57(7):797-804. [Abstract]
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 02:43:51 AM »
Ancient, I'm glad that Ativan also restores normalcy for you as Klonopin does for me.
I feel less of the needless dread that I felt with GAD.  It's a bit like I was wearing dark glasses
and have now taken them off and can appreciate the sunny day.  Again, it is the feeling of a return
to myself.  Finding my sense of humor again, and my sense of mission.

Insghts, thanks for sharing all the reference documents.  I'll checks some of them out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 09:33:03 PM »
Glad to hear you're doing well worldbeat!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Christophe

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 12:27:19 PM »
That's good worldbeat.

Although, I thought Klonopin was supposed to be similar to Xanax and fast acting so I'm surprised it took a couple weeks for you to feel better after taking it.

I'm considering switching over to Klonopin from Xanax because Xanax just wears off so quickly now after taking it daily for a few months.  I don't know if I'd have to wean off of Xanax slowly while taking Klonopin or just switch over to it.  Will discuss with the Dr.

Glad you are feeling better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »
I don't know if I'd have to wean off of Xanax slowly while taking Klonopin or just switch over to it.

Just switch. It does not take a few weeks for Klonopin to begin working, however, it can take a few days to build up in the system so there may be an argument for cross tapering over 2-3 days if anxiety levels are very high, but most don't need to.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 09:34:27 AM »
Worldbeat99 I am so happy to hear you are doing so well on your med combo! It's inspirational to hear.  I know what you mean by getting stressed out by free time, that is great that you are feeling productive and can put your mind on positive things.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »
Thanks everybody for your encouragement.  I hope my story can inspire others.

Update:  End of 3rd week on klonopin.  Things are going great.  Keeping my fingers crossed.
I'm staying on .5 mg in am and .5 in pm. 

I feel joy returning to my life.  Along with my sense of humor and my passion for my various projects.  I'm being very social again.  Working on my novel, still have to get more productive there.  I'm going to a Meetup Group this week where people just write for 2 hours.

And I'm leading a Meetup Group in Chicago for people with various anxieties.  I call it "ANXIOUS TO MEET YOU!"
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
Worldbeat99- sounds awesome! And that is hysterical, "Anxious to meet you".   :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: