Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I'm new and recognizing my need for this forum!  (Read 49 times)

Offline ellengreen9

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm new and recognizing my need for this forum!
« on: June 24, 2014, 10:41:55 PM »
Hello - I'm a 56 year old mom and grandma who is realizing that at this age, I'm still obsessing over my health - something I thought I was over years ago.  Seems that I've been back in the old pattern that seems to hit me especially after losing a loved one or finding out about a scary diagnosis in someone I am close to....or not even that close to. 

The thing I'm pretty excited about is finding this site and finding the health anxiety workbook link.  I'm all about trying to improve life stuff, and this is something I'm going to focus on. 

I really am quite healthy despite having hypothyroidism and a year long diagnosis of gastroparesis due to a virus which has improved greatly.  Of course, when first diagnosed I googled everything about gastroparesis and the anxiety itself put me in the hospital for four days due to weight loss (mostly from the anxiety) and a week of being unable to sleep for more than an hour or two. 

Recently I had a little abnormality on a urine test which threw me into a googling frenzy and had me certain that I had bladder cancer.   Then followed side and back pain and some pain over an ovary which had me convinced I had ovarian cancer.  The past two days I've had thorough examination of both issues, and have been found to be completely fine.  So I'm happy today and more relaxed.  However, what I'm realizing is that this won't necessarily last.  So...very very glad to have found this site after having been this way since I was about 23 when my dad died suddenly.  In the years before Google, I was a medical transcriptionist, and I actually used to sneak the doctor's reference books out of their offices, take them home, and look up all my symptoms - then I returned the book after exhausting myself with it all and getting checked out.

Again, glad to have found this place.  Looking forward to turning things around.

Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I'm new and recognizing my need for this forum!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 02:44:30 AM »
Hi Ellengreen,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Tags: