Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Extremely Worried about Heart Palpitations...please help  (Read 538 times)

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
Re: Extremely Worried about Heart Palpitations...please help
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 03:37:04 PM »
When will the obsessive worrying end?

What you wrote here is important, to me, anyway. You asked when will the obsessive worrying end?

I have a tendency to also ruminate over and over about a particular symptom or trigger. At times, I just can't let it go. It will be in my mind the entire day. When I get up in the a.m, it's usually the first thing I think of.

I went to a new acupuncturist yesterday ( way out of my comfort zone, too) and it turns out he also has suffered anxiety/phobias. In addition to the treatment he gave me, he shared that what he did to get his obsessing under control is to set aside "worry time" for 5 minutes a day.

At first, I couldn't even comprehend that, because when I'm stuck, I'm stuck.

We talked and he mentioned that the thoughts are coming from ME. I'm choosing to obsess. Logically, I already knew this.

He suggested I try to "set aside worry time - pick a time, and allow myself 5 minutes to obsess". He said when you get to the time designated, I can choose to obsess, or move the time up for an hour later and so on.

I started to do this last night. It was a bit tough at first, because I thought, "what will I think about until 9 p.m. when I can worry for 5 minutes"? I ended up reading, and though the "thoughts" tried to come in, I told myself that worry time is at 9 pm. I managed to go until 1 a.m. to allow myself to obsess.

When 1 a.m. came...I found that I didn't feel like obsessing and was actually thinking positively.

I slept well (I always do) but the cool thing is I got up this a.m. and took my shower, then realized that I wasn't obsessing about anything.

Sorry if this is long. I just wanted to share.
Bookmark and Share