Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Extremely Worried about Heart Palpitations...please help  (Read 286 times)

Offline cmatthews1112

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Extremely Worried about Heart Palpitations...please help
« on: June 24, 2014, 05:36:34 PM »
So I'm 37 years old with two small kiddos. I've always had heart palpitations but recently am super worried about them. I've had EKGs in past and no doc has ever seemed concerned. My friends 29 year old boyfriend dropped over of a heart attack yesterday and then today I had a really bad heart palpitation. It scared me!!!! I struggle with major health anxiety. I have a doctor appt in July to check in. I am wondering if I should make an appt at our local hospital to do the $99 heart scan they offer. My doc has never suggested it but I'm super worried. My dad died at 64 of a heart attack so I'm always afraid. My cholesterol is fantastic and blood pressure is fine. But what if I have some heart defect that could kill me? Can anxiety cause bad heart palps? I'm thinking maybe I need it take a Xanax and try to calm down. What does everyone think????
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Extremely Worried about Heart Palpitations...please help
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »
Definitely, anxiety can produce heart palps, which is a temporary change in the timing between beats.  Extremely common sensation in people, some people have them and don't feel them.  If you are like me, you are sensitized to the palps and the sensation is amplified.  It can trigger panic for me as well.  I would trust the doctors opinion regarding how serious, or not, it is. I don't know what kind of test for such a low price would provide you with the information you seek. The tests doctors would order to diagnose heart disease are invasive and much more expensive.  I think the doctors would've ordered this for you if they suspected heart disease.  I understand the fear.  I get it too.  Take care
Bookmark and Share

Offline cmatthews1112

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:21:53 PM »
Thanks for the response I appreciate the feedback!!! I'm gonna try to calm down.
Bookmark and Share

Offline healthworrier24

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »
I started suffering from really bad HP's too this month. Feeling like my heart is dropping. I went to the doctor and she heard it happening as well. They did an EKG and it came back perfectly. Since that test I have tried to not think about them and have actually felt them getting better. I really believe its the stress and anxiety I put on myself. Try to just let it go and trust the doctor. I bet they will get better! Hang in there.
Bookmark and Share

Online doug65

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »
I get 'em too.  More noticeable when I'm anxious.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »
I echo what e77 said. I used to lay awake at night sweating about them. The more I worried, the more pronounced they would get. I could not ignore them or fall asleep. Once I learned that they are very common, that most people seldom notice them but almost everyone gets them sometimes, that people with health anxiety tend to be much more aware of them, that anxiety can make them much worse, and that they are usually perfectly harmless... once I internalized all this information I stopped worrying about them. I will still notice them once in a while and my brain will start to take me into panic mode, but then I stop that circuit and remind myself of all the above, and they tend to go away quickly. They're hardly an issue at all for me anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cmatthews1112

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:23:01 PM »
How bad have yours been? Ever dizzy or lightheaded? Have you ever had heart tests?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 11:33:31 PM »
Yeah, I get dizzy and lightheaded easily, but I don't know if it's related to palpitations or if it's just anxiety (but I honestly think it's the latter, though I was once convinced it was the former). I've had several heart tests done over the years and they have always come back normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 11:46:56 PM »
I've gotten the palpitations, too. For some reason, those never bother me....

I'm sure that it is definitely anxiety related. You mentioned that you've had many tests and all is well.

Have you tried to regulate your breathing? Perhaps doing some diaphragmatic breathing will help you.

Breathe in through your nose, allowing your stomach to "get bigger" with the breath. Hold for a few seconds, then gently exhale from the mouth. Do it a few times, or until you notice that your palpitations are letting up.

Bookmark and Share

Offline cmatthews1112

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 07:57:29 AM »
I've only had a few EKGs but no heart echocardiogram or stress test. I've been through 3 surgeries and I know they hooked me up to stuff then so I would think they would've found something. I am definitely going to tell my primary care doc all about it in July when I go. I'm just so scared something is going to happen to me....I'm a teacher and I'm off all summer with my kids. I want to enjoy my time off with them but instead I'm obsessing about every little thing. Last week I thought I had bone cancer because my back has been hurting. When will the obsessive worrying end? I just want to enjoy each day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 03:37:04 PM »
When will the obsessive worrying end?

What you wrote here is important, to me, anyway. You asked when will the obsessive worrying end?

I have a tendency to also ruminate over and over about a particular symptom or trigger. At times, I just can't let it go. It will be in my mind the entire day. When I get up in the a.m, it's usually the first thing I think of.

I went to a new acupuncturist yesterday ( way out of my comfort zone, too) and it turns out he also has suffered anxiety/phobias. In addition to the treatment he gave me, he shared that what he did to get his obsessing under control is to set aside "worry time" for 5 minutes a day.

At first, I couldn't even comprehend that, because when I'm stuck, I'm stuck.

We talked and he mentioned that the thoughts are coming from ME. I'm choosing to obsess. Logically, I already knew this.

He suggested I try to "set aside worry time - pick a time, and allow myself 5 minutes to obsess". He said when you get to the time designated, I can choose to obsess, or move the time up for an hour later and so on.

I started to do this last night. It was a bit tough at first, because I thought, "what will I think about until 9 p.m. when I can worry for 5 minutes"? I ended up reading, and though the "thoughts" tried to come in, I told myself that worry time is at 9 pm. I managed to go until 1 a.m. to allow myself to obsess.

When 1 a.m. came...I found that I didn't feel like obsessing and was actually thinking positively.

I slept well (I always do) but the cool thing is I got up this a.m. and took my shower, then realized that I wasn't obsessing about anything.

Sorry if this is long. I just wanted to share.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: