Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My fathers dog has Generalized Anxiety Disorder  (Read 123 times)

Offline EsotericNonsense

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My fathers dog has Generalized Anxiety Disorder
« on: June 24, 2014, 02:26:47 PM »
My father has a dog named Twister who seams to have about every mental health problem possible. I'm not a doctor but from looking at her it looks like she has Separation Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Old dog anxiety, along with anxiety over the very existence of the other dogs she lives with. One day I told my father that I thought she needed to be on puppy Prozac and I wasn't being facetious. If a person had all of the emotional problems she had we would encourage her to get help and yet my father can look at that dog in mental anguish every day and not try to help her. But he can be forgiven for not putting her on medication because we have different medical standards for dogs than for humans.

I just sent a letter to my father and step mother about twisters anxiety, I'm sick and tired of them ignoring or disregarding that dogs emotional issues, or worse using them as an excuse to mistreat her. I don't understand how they can deliberately trigger her anxiety and then try to wash their hands of any blame because that's just the way she is. We need to start trying to figure out what we can do to help her. And this subject is depressing for me because I can't tell if me and my father are on the same page on this issue. I know I have mentioned that I don't like him teasing her before and he just dismisses me or says that it's not teasing because if he did the same thing to another dog they wouldn't react.

I included some suggestions on what we could do differently which are related to the individual issues the dog has which are too numerous to list here. I haven't gotten a reply back from the letter but I just sent it so I shouldn't expect a reply back yet. It's just that this issue has been bugging me a long time, and I feel as if they aren't taking it seriously.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nomoretears

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My fathers dog has Generalized Anxiety Disorder
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:11:39 AM »
Aw, that's really sad your father's dog is in that way.

Honestly, handling anxiety in pets, shouldn't really be so far removed from handling it in a person. The dog needs something to do to keep her mind occupied, and get her body moving, exercise is key, playing with her is key..

Make sure she can get a good hour long walk daily, and take some time to play fetch, or whatever kind of game she enjoys. I do this with my dog, and she is happier.. thing is, it's been getting hot now that it's summer, and she's wanted to go out less, so she hasn't been walking as much, and she seems to get a bit antsy not having expended that energy.

I'm not against medication though to help, if there is such a thing you can talk with your vet about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pink Cat

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: My fathers dog has Generalized Anxiety Disorder
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 04:35:34 PM »
I agree with nomoretears, exercise is a good idea.  If the dog is tired then they have a lot less energy to be anxious with.  That dog whisperer guy's cure for a lot of things always seemed to be long walks to calm them down.  lol  We have a smallish dog who is always anxious and stuff and she is usually a little better after a walk.  Maybe the dog is board too?  I've heard of people changing up where they feed their pet so that they have a sort of game to find it and keep their minds working.  You could also get him one of those toys where you put food inside it and they have to roll it around to get it out; that might give him something to do too.  I've seen people put their dogs on treadmills for a little while just for a little bit of an extra walk if the dog can get used to that.  They would have to watch him to make sure he didn't slip or something though and it's probably not a good replacement for a real walk. 
Bookmark and Share
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and spiders.