Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Blood marker "a little off" may indicate mass  (Read 431 times)

Offline yesyesno

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Blood marker "a little off" may indicate mass
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:50:13 PM »
I went to an endocrinologist to make sure I didn't have a pituitary tumor that my MRI might have missed.  Since I was there, she did a complete blood workup.  All of my blood came up clean for the issues related to the symptoms I was having, including thyroid function...then comes the bad news: she said it was "random", but my thyroid blood marker was a little off indicating ( I think and hope she said a POSSIBLE) mass on my thyroid.  When I hear mass, I think the worst.  She said it could just be a nodule of some sort.  She reminded me that when I came in she told me "rule out tests" often lead to further testing.

Looking for some more reassurance, I told her I was going to try not to worry, fully knowing I was going to worry uncontrollably.  She said no, do not worry.  I said I would try to go as soon as possible and she said wait until the afternoon to give her office a chance to fax the auth to the imaging place.

1.  Does the fact that my blood indicator was off mean I only may have a mass on my thyroid or that I could have mass somewhere in my body? In other words, do I still have to worry if thyroid ultrasound comes back ok?
2.  Anyone have experience with masses that were not detrimental? (my mind can take care of conceiving the worst outcome)
3.  I really need help on this one.  This is the first time a doc has ordered a test on her own and not because I begged her to.  Plus I'm at work.  I cried now I'm trying to hold back tears because my office is glass, this see-through and 2 people have already stopped by.  It's still the morning here so I still have a full day ahead of me.
Bookmark and Share

Online bpadilla49

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blood marker "a little off" may indicate mass
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 03:41:22 PM »
I have a mass on my neck. I have a goiter on my thyroid. Completely benign. My cousin also had a very large cyst on her thyroid. It grew so big that it stuck out of her neck. She had it removed. Also completely benign. I have thyroid issues so I'm always going in for blood work and ultrasounds. My endocrinologist told me that over 90% of people - men and women alike - will have a thyroid nodule at least once in their life. Very common is an understatement. Plus - if you were to have thyroid cancer (AND I'M NOT SAYING YOU DO BY ANY MEANS!) it is over 96% CURABLE - not just treatable - CURABLE!

Do you know the name of your blood test?
Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 04:40:25 PM »
Wow, thank you so much. I feel a little better.  Not sure what blood test, but the one that tests how it's functioning came back fine.  So it was a different test.

I just has the ultrasound.  I grabbed the only appointment they had today otherwise Id have to wait until Thursday which would be awful.  The only thing that concerned me is that she seemed to spend a lot of time on the right side of my neck.  I even think she chuckled at some point which made me feel a little better.

I asked her if she saw anything potentially fatal, but of course my doctor has to tell me.  But she said fatal is a big exaggeration when it comes to the thyroid.

Now the real waiting begins (I find out next week).
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »
my friend and her daughter both have thyroid nodules and/or tumors.  they are both fine.  they do take thyroid meds
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline yesyesno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 09:31:33 PM »
So I got the results today.  I have a goiter nodule at 1.2 mm (on the right, I knew the ultrasound lady spent more time on that side!) and another at .5 mm (on the left).  The Doctor said anytime there is a nodule over 1 mm they recommend doing a biopsy.  She said if I choose not to, we have to follow up with an ultrasound in 6 months.  She left a voice mail so I couldn't ask any questions.  In the morning I am going to try to schedule my biopsy ASAP.

Naturally freaking out.  I have read up on positive stories on here, but then I found someone had negative biopsy results but they found small cancer when they removed it.

The Doctor said there is a 5-8% chance that mine has cancer.  But now I'm wondering if I have to have it removed to really know.  And because I have goiter, will I eventually have to take meds for the rest of my life no matter what?  Obviously this is a better alternative to having cancer which I am praying there is NONE of.

I just don't know what to think.  Never had a biopsy in my life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »
Centimeters.  I'm losing it :(
Bookmark and Share

Online rileybug

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:34:38 PM »
I had a nodule-biopsed  benign-told me benign nodules very seldom grow-not to worry bout it.
Bookmark and Share

Online bpadilla49

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 04:56:03 AM »
No, just because you have a goiter does NOT mean you will have to take meds the rest of your life. It all depends on what your other thyroid blood work showed (TSH, Free T4, ect). I have a girlfriend who had thyroid cancer at the age of 24. They found a nodule, completely removed all of her thyroid, found cancer in the nodule. Stage 1. No chemo, no radiation, nothing. Surgery cures it. And my endo told me that thyroid cancer is sooooo sloooow growing, and that if you're going to get cancer, THATS the cancer to get! - not saying you have thyroid cancer, as it is rare to find cancer in a thyroid nodule. Remember - 90%+ of the population will have a thyroid nodule at some point in their lives. Most are benign. And if it's not, this is a curable cancer. My friend has gone on to get pregnant and have a beautiful baby boy. No worries. Do you take comfort in statistics??? Here's a great website that may reassure you. Fair warning - if statistics don't comfort you or reassure you, don't open it.

Cure rate of 97.8%!!!!
http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/thyro.html

Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 08:52:42 AM »
Statistics definitely help.  And I'm sooooo happy your friend is doing well!  So I've been able to convince myself that although I hope and pray I don't have it, I can live through thyroid cancer.  But now I'm super afraid of having it and finding out it has spread and that's why I'm having other issues. I am so scared.  My thyroid blood work is all completely normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 02:26:12 PM »
Benign!  Thank you all so much for your support.  I still have a way to go with HA, but I'm happy this issue has resolved and I haven't done any "what ifs".
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
Benign!  Thank you all so much for your support.  I still have a way to go with HA, but I'm happy this issue has resolved and I haven't done any "what ifs".

I am very happy for you!!!!!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!