Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Flex sig or pass  (Read 175 times)

Online Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Flex sig or pass
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:43:51 PM »
So most of you know I have a carcinoid and am pregnant. Finally made it to second trimester and now is the time to decide to get the flex sig to check on the tumor or just leave it till after pregnancy is over. I have four doctors. One says do the flex sig only because he has never had a patient with a carcinoid who is pregnant and there is not a lot of literature. The other two say wait and my ob says it is up to me. I am a Christian and I have peace the tumor is going to be ok. So my question is...to flex sig or not. If it was you, your wife, your daughter....what would you want her to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Flex sig or pass
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 02:23:23 PM »
Did they say this could harm the baby at all or you if they do the Sig?

I really don't know what I would do to be honest because I am not the one pregnant and needing something done BUT if it were me I would wait just to be on the safe side with the baby , now if several doctors say get it out then that is different but then you have others saying wait and one saying it is up to you so it really is up to you.

Follow your heart and the Gut feeling and Know God will guide you through!
Good Luck and Many Blessings!
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 02:44:13 PM »
I can do it without sedation although it would be uncomfortable. The tumor is in the rectum so it will only be to take pictures and measurements. It is pretty small. 1 cm. i have researched and most of the time carcinoids are not affected by pregnancy. I don't have symptoms and it doesnt bother me. It was just an incidental finding. I would never forgive myself if something happened to the baby. If it caused me problems or was highly cancerous, I woule not hesitat to do the test. My gut feeling says don't do it but I also am scared of tests because of what they will find.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 03:27:32 PM »
Trust your instincts mama - 

Let me ask you something - what would it benefit you to have the test? If they do it and see that it's grown, what could they do? The last time I heard from you they wouldn't do the surgery BECAUSE you're pregnant. So if they found that it was bigger, by "checking" on it - what would they do? What benefit would it have?
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 03:41:54 PM »
The first and second doctors said they would not surgery and it would be fine too wait. This is a more advanced doctor in a different state. The other doctor in state was recommended by my OB just for second opinion. If they see that it has grown but not a significant amount, they would suggest c-section with tumor removal. If it has grown considerably, they will do surgery but has a lot of miscarriage/preterm labor risks with it. Benefits to me- if the tumor has grown, they can remove it. If it hasn't then There are no benefits. Benefits for baby- none. We tried for six months to get pregnant and figured it was God waiting for the tumor to be removed but my pre-op pregnancy test came back positive. I feel like this baby is a true miracle and blessing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 03:53:08 PM »
So if they did the test and it has grown substantially, would you take the risks and have it removed? I think the answer to THAT question will answer your original question.
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 04:41:08 PM »
Yes, I think I would have it removed, only because of the high chance of it turning metastatic. But by then, I would have other symptoms, like bowel obstruction. From the research I have done, carcinoids have stayed the same or shrunk, never grown during pregnancy. Ugh, to be a kid and not have to make huge decisions again.
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »
In think I would have the flex sig done. That way if the is the same size you could relax end enjoy the pregnancy. If it has changed you could be proactive and remove it. I know moms who have had procedures like gallbladder removal during pregnancy and have been ok. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 05:02:22 PM »
I agree with Lindsay. If you're willing to take the risk if it has grown, then get it done.
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 05:38:45 PM »
I have thoroughly enjoyed this pregnancy until. I started thinking about this.. :/
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 07:34:02 AM »
Just have it done. I have a strong feeling it's unchanged  and will put your mind at ease. If it remained unchanged for a year I would almost bet it's still the same but the reassurance would be amazing 
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 12:37:27 PM »
I don't think it's changed either. My cousin fears that the stress and anxiety from having it done will cause more problems than not getting it done. I am going to think about it over the weekend and then decide before making a rash decision to do/not do it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 03:07:04 PM »
For me, I think the ongoing anxiety of not knowing would be more harmful than the acute anxiety caused by having it done. But I'm not you, and you may be different.

If it were my wife, I would want to know that she is well, and that would be my number one priority. I can't say for myself though because I can't know what it is like to be in your position.
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 04:22:01 PM »
I was thinking of asking for the 24 hour urine test that shows if the tumor is active. Before pregnancy, it was not active. If the urine test does show activity then i could get the flex sig and see what is going on.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: