Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Therapy  (Read 108 times)

Offline spongecake

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Therapy
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »
Not fretting this time. I was just wondering how many people out there are taking therapy for their anxiety, and wether it's helped or not.

I eventually caved and decided to try seeing one. I didn't think it would work... Didn't think that there was much anyone could tell me I hadn't told myself or read about, and also I don't really have much money to spend, but I'd reached that point of desperation where I figured I had to give it a try. I'm about six sessions in so far and while it's interesting to do, I don't actually know if it's helping me at all. I certainly haven't been fretting less. I don't know whether I should quit and stop wasting my money or persevere.

How about you guys?
Bookmark and Share

Online TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Therapy
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »
I Think you should stick with it and keep working on getting through the anxiety and over time you will and it does take time and each person is different in beating anxiety down.

I went some really good therapist and some really bad ones but I so wish I had stuck with the one guy I went too but I didn't and it is my fault but I do believe he could have helped me overcome so many of my issues! He isn't in practice anymore I did try to get him back so I blame myself. I am looking for a new one because I do believe they can help out a lot so if the one you are seeing is a good one keep going and work really hard !

take care and You are NOT an Idiot !! Be nice to yourself!
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 03:03:23 PM »
I agree with TulipLover—stick it out. Six weeks is really not that long a time. Remember, therapists aren't miracle workers, and you have to play the long game to get over an anxiety disorder, as there is no quick fix. That amount of time is nothing.

Also, I urge you to think of going to therapy as something other than "caving." It's not weak or wrong to seek treatment. I know going to therapy can be quite stigmatized, but being able to know one's mind without the aid of another is a very dangerous assumption. If you need help, you need help. If any other part of your body was malfunctioning, you wouldn't think twice about treatment—why should the brain be any different? It's not. By stepping up and seeking out a therapist and sitting in those sessions and participating, it's actually (I think) an act of courage. Who amongst us really wants to dig deeply into our minds in the fear of finding something we'd rather not deal with?

Keep going, I'd say. You'd be surprised, I think, over time.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Bocephus

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 01:12:45 AM »
About my recent and ongoing experience with therapy.  It's been awesome.

I've been dealing with lots of stress, depression, boredom from being unemployed, so on and so forth.  I've tried to talk to friends and family and they all say the same kinds of things, which don't seem to help (bless them).

Anyhow - I have major tinnitus (which is real) for last 1.5 years along with lots of other health worries which I'm certain are just part of my hypochondriac fabric....

I've seen the therapist 2 times a week for last 3 weeks and have also experienced several of the most quiet days since the tinnitus began.

I firmly believe that the therapist is helping tremendously.  She's been helping me realize I'm constantly in fight or flight.  My adrenalin is through the roof...

Can't stress enough how proud I am of seeking out help.  It's paying off...

Bocephus
Bookmark and Share

Tags: