Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: more stomach problems + cancer fears  (Read 633 times)

Offline Jenin

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
more stomach problems + cancer fears
« on: June 24, 2014, 10:37:23 AM »
my stomach is driving me completely crazy, and despite trying not to for weeks caved in and googled.  Bad idea, as always  -- various types of cancer, as usual, come up immediately.  I scheduled a doctor appointment for this evening, and am actually going to go despite my usual habit of canceling for fear of finding out something terrible.
Perhaps in the meantime someone/more than one person can let me know if these symptoms sound familiar or have any idea what they could be pointing toward.

For the past two weeks, I have had very little appetite.  I have a feeling of fullness very quickly, and after eating a small meal my stomach feels very tight and uncomfortable, almost like I'm going to burst.    this is accompanied by some random stomach pains here and there, in various places--sometimes more on my side, sometimes lower down so that it feels almost like it could be coming from my ovaries.   This has happened twice before -- for a few weeks last February/March, and about a year ago.  This time it is more severe though, esp. in terms of the amount I can (or rather can't) eat before feeling very uncomfortably full.  Also, yesterday I felt nauseous several times throughout the day, and this morning felt more unwell than usual.  I woke up somewhat hungry, but after a cup of coffee and a piece of fruit felt so full I feel like I could burst.   last night I had only a cup of soup but felt full immediately and could not eat anymore.  In fact, I have been feeling so full from just a small meal I am tossing and turning at night because of the discomfort and stomach tightness.  I also know something is wrong so this is making me more anxious, so I haven't been getting more than a few hours of sleep a night on weeknights. Interestingly, I have been getting some of the hunger signs -- growling stomach -- but just don't FEEL hungry, but I eat anyway also because I want to convince myself I'm ok.     any ideas what this could be?
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline doug65

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: more stomach problems + cancer fears
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 10:45:57 AM »
Anxiety and stress can do this.  Many people on this board have gone through the same thing.  Check out what Harvard medical had to say:  http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/the-gut-brain-connection
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:51:22 AM »
doug--thank you.   the article was helpful. I hope that's all it is.  It feels very "physical" to me -- and I understand that the point is it's NOT just in your head because your anxiety is actually affecting your physiology -- but it feels so much like it's  being caused by something external/beyond my psychological state.  But I do hope that you are right.

funny thing is, last time this happened in the winter, it was not going away and I was convinced something was seriously wrong; then I went on vacation for a week and during that time, completely, 100% forgot about it, had my entire appetite back, and felt great.  So I guess that supports the theory that anxiety is the underlying cause.
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline healthworrier24

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
Please!!! Dont feel alone. I to have this! It started last month for me. A feeling like any food Id eat would just sit in my stomach and feel full and heavy. I ended up going to the urgent care to be told I have a GI virus. They did an Xray and I also had a CT scan done. I was told the same thing. It was a virus. That stressed me beyond words. They put me on Protonics for acid reflux as well as taking a probiotic. About 10 days later I felt normal again. The strange thing is is came back again this month. Almost the same exact thing. I have the abdominal pain and when I press down on the lowest part by my ovaries I feel pain as well. I didnt do anything for it this time except watch what kind of foods I eat and try to destress. Again it lasted about the same amount of time and now its gone again. Im going to say you will be just fine. ITs good to get checked out to help you get some rest but freaking about it def doesnt help us. Im sure you are just fine. Please let me know what you find out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:59:27 AM »
healthworrier, thank you!  It is beyond helpful to know that someone else has the same symptoms and hasn't been diagnosed with a life-threatening disease.  I will definitely keep you posted about how my doctor's appointment goes but thanks to both of you-- you've both helped me from going from spending the entire day anxious and miserable.  Also, glad to know that you are feeling better 
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:06:48 PM »
the doctor yesterday said that what I was describing (and from my eating habits) sounds likely I have a lot of acid in my stomach.  She told me to try a low-acid diet and if it doesn't improve to come back in a couple of weeks.  I'm also not supposed to drink alcohol for 2 weeks which I know will be a challenge--it's just a big part of my lifestyle in the summer, and I have a lot of parties planned with the Fourth of July.  But going to do my best...
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline healthworrier24

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »
Exactly!!!! SO happy to hear this as it should be confirmation for you and its confirmation that my doctors arent to far off. They told me the same thing!! It stinks to have to eat bland foods, but you will feel better. Did you get any anti acid meds? Prilosec works great!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 01:07:44 PM »
No, she told me to try the low-acid diet for two weeks, and if that doesn't work we will try medication.
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 01:09:56 PM »
But maybe I should just try it anyway, it's over the counter right?
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline Mairi

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »
 I think anxiety could definitely cause this. Also, is it possible you have a food allergy/sensitivity? When I was a child I had bad stomachaches every day. When I was 6 I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance and stopped having dairy. My stomach problems got a little better, but were not entirely gone. Finally, when I was 10 years, I was tested for food allergies and discovered I had sensitivities to various foods such as wheat/gluten, green peas (which were in a protein shake I was taking), almonds, and of course dairy. I've stopped eating those things (ok, maybe I cheat sometimes) and guess what? My stomachaches are entirely gone. So don't worry. I think either anxiety or food sensitivities are causing this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 01:32:10 PM »
I doubt it's food sensitivities because I am mostly a vegan and avoid gluten (thought I had a sensitivity to gluten a while ago and found I normally feel better without it). I now eat a little fish and yogurt but otherwise mostly vegan. I am getting worried again because it's getting worse, I am having a sort of burning pain in my stomach area while I am eating. I have heard this is a symptom of stomach cancer and now I am getting very nervous
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »
Ok now I really am freaking out-- I googled my symptoms today-- burning and tightness in stomach area and everything says stomach cancer. I can't believe my mind is going down this road having just been to the doctor yesterday but it is...
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline healthworrier24

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 01:49:44 PM »
I def have stomach cancer then too! you are describing me exactly! I promise you dont google because I got all the same things. I had a stomach xray and ct scan that came back clear. If I had stomach cancer I'm sure it would show up there. So you are good. Prilosec is over the counter. Id get some and try it for those 2 weeks. If no better than go back to the doctor. I'm promising you are fine. We are in this together!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 06:42:22 AM »
You don't have stomach cancer, cause I have these same issues too. I've had them now, on and off, for 5 months. Going to start Prilosec again soon, unfortunately.

If you're having reflux and acid problems, definitely avoid caffeine and alcohol. Try eating yogurt, probiotics can help manage acid levels.
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 09:40:33 AM »
thanks, I hope so!  I had a terrible night last night, was tossing and turning, had worked myself up into a certainty I have stomach cancer.  It just feels so tight, I can hardly eat anything at all before feeling like my stomach is going to explode.  I've never had this before, and it's been going on for over two weeks now, which is scaring the hell out of me.  Actually the last two days were significantly worse.    It feels so much like there's something IN THERE, like a tumor...it's hard for me to grasp it could just be acid or irritation of the lining or whatever.    I hope you're right though.  I'm avoiding alcohol, caffeine, and the acidy foods my doctor told me to avoid.
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Tags: