Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Freaking out at beginning of using Zoloft  (Read 87 times)

Offline unknownartist

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Freaking out at beginning of using Zoloft
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:02:44 AM »
Hi all,

I just started (3 days) taking Zoloft (50mg) after doctor prescribed for my anxiety problems. It didn't do me any bad yet, apart from the scare of running into the side effects, which I go over (browse) in depth today in the internet. I am just wondering what if I don't need the pill for my specific problem and it end up being hard to stop taking it at some point? My story is, despite I'm 24 now, I've never been in a r/ship, and intimidate by girls, to say the least. I have also developed a lot of anger inside me lately. The other thing is I normally shake (when nervous, which is every time, I guess), and I give much emphasis for people's view that I usually end up embarrassed in minor cases. I also tend to worry too much for every details, and very desperate to finally take a huge leap from having platonic girl friends to girlfriend. Lack of confidence and fear of rejection are my biggest weak points, I suppose.

I was looking for such medications when I hold my own (its really hard to go to psychiatry here in my country) and bring the subject to others, but it scared the ***** out of me, specially when I read people have been on Zoloft for years. I thought its going to be for few months, at most. And now the thought of withdrawal side effects crossing my mind, and also I am eager to see if it solves my issues, on the other hand.

To wrap my awfully long topic, my concerns are pretty much

1) what is if I stop it after only taking it for few days .. withdrawal effects

2) Can't see living out of alchols, and I was confused with the instruction earlier, and I had one beer last night. Although at first I felt like puking (which is why I stopped with one), I was totally fine in the night (no sleep troubles) and I am very ecstatic today. So would it hurt to have a beer or two once in a while?

3) Of course, sex drive. Admittedly, one of my bigger problem was that already, which is why I present this as third concern as oppose to first since nothing changed anyways in that regard. But, still, I find it so scary.

So, what's your take on the subject? I sensed its a lot of (vague?) subjects  to start off, but I am hyped and everything, and hope to hear from you guys soon.
Bookmark and Share

Online joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Freaking out at beginning of using Zoloft
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »
I don't think stopping after just 3 days will be a problem.  I'm on my 4th day but I'm going to stay with it. You don't have to stay on it for the rest of your life. That's entirely up to you. I really don't know about mixing alcohol with Sertraline but I'm sure someone else answer that for you.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 85
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:21:13 PM »
1) what is if I stop it after only taking it for few days .. withdrawal effects

You will not experience withdrawals after having only taken it for a few days. It usually takes a month or two for dependence to become an issue.

2) Can't see living out of alchols, and I was confused with the instruction earlier, and I had one beer last night. Although at first I felt like puking (which is why I stopped with one), I was totally fine in the night (no sleep troubles) and I am very ecstatic today. So would it hurt to have a beer or two once in a while?

You can still drink.The problem with alcohol and antidepressants is that the mix can produce unpredictable results for some. One day they may be affected greatly by only a small amount of alcohol, on others they can drink a lot of alcohol without being affected. So care is needed until you work out if you're one of those affected this way. Also be aware that alcohol and anxiety disorders are not a good combination, see: The alcohol/anxiety tag team.

3) Of course, sex drive. Admittedly, one of my bigger problem was that already, which is why I present this as third concern as oppose to first since nothing changed anyways in that regard. But, still, I find it so scary.

Most antidepressants impact the libido to some extent. However, one, trazodone (Desyrel) may enhance it. The one problem with this med is that it is initially very sedating. This diminishes as the dose is increased to therapeutic levels, but it can be a hurdle initially.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline unknownartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 05:39:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the quick reply. I decided to give it a try, and see what'll happen after a month. Hope to gather such information in future too. Thanks!!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: zoloft