Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Sertraline does the insomnia pass?  (Read 164 times)

Offline joe2014

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sertraline does the insomnia pass?
« on: June 24, 2014, 06:44:10 AM »
Hi - I just started using Sertraline (day 4 50mg) and am dealing with the insomnia that goes along with it. Just wondering if that will pass? Thanks.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sertraline does the insomnia pass?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 07:50:56 AM »
Hi - I just started using Sertraline (day 4 50mg) and am dealing with the insomnia that goes along with it. Just wondering if that will pass? Thanks.
Joe

There is no way of knowing, Joe. It usually does after a few weeks, but it can be an ongoing issue for some. Small doses of the sedating antidepressant trazodone (Desyrel) is the preferred solution for SSRI induced insomnia. At the 25-50mg doses usually prescribed it won't interact with sertraline as it only becomes an antidepressant at around 200mg. Benadryl might also work.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 08:01:51 AM »
thanks for the information. Let me ask you my doctor started me off at 50 mg some people seem to think that is a little too high to start off with what do you think should I take 25 mg for a week or so and then increase to 50 mg. Thanks again. Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 08:41:20 AM »
I'm currently on 62.5 mg.  I've been on for 10 weeks tomorrow.  I just had to answer this because I just woke up before work after sleeping TEN hours last night.  In the beginning, I couldn't sleep an hour.  Yes, it passed and my body is getting the much needed rest it needs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »
my doctor started me off at 50 mg some people seem to think that is a little too high to start off with what do you think should I take 25 mg for a week or so and then increase to 50 mg.

50mg is the starting dose for depression, but this can increase anxiety levels too much more those with an anxiety disorder so 25mg for the first 5-6 days is better for them, and some do even better on an initial 12.5mg. However, given you have now been taking 50mg for 4 days there really isn't any point in dropping back now, Joe.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: