Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I don't know if I'm strong enough to go on holiday in 7 days  (Read 270 times)

Offline Betsy21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello everybody

I'm going on holiday in 7 days for 10 days and its a 12 hour flight (reason for the trip is to meet husbands family for 1st time) but I am seriously considering cancelling it.  :(

We booked it a month ago and my anxiety has been building and building since then, I haven't been able to relax. I just keep thinking about it every second. I've tried to get myself excited for it and keep telling myself that its an opportunity of a lifetime but I just know that in my heart of hearts, I REALLY don't want to go. I just want to run away from it or get out of it.

The fear for me is being far away from home, not being able to get home easily and being 'trapped' there. I am also terrified of the flight journey (I have been given valium for it but can't take valium while I'm out there as I don't have many pills and also his family will be around constantly so can't be drugged up in front of them!!)

A few days ago, I had the biggest panic attack I have ever had  :traurig001: its made me even more hesitant about going, I felt so disorientated and almost like 'not there'. Everytime I think of getting on the plane and the doors just closing I feel ice-cold panic.

Can anybody help me/have a similar story? I don't know what to do  :dazed:

Thank you
Bookmark and Share

Offline Journey2Calm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I don't know if I'm strong enough to go on holiday in 7 days
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 11:38:51 AM »
I have no advice, just sympathy.  Flying & being away from home scare the crap out of me too.  If you can will yourself to get on the plane, I think the Valium would be helpful, in addition to a guided relaxation made for flying.  I know you can download those on iTunes.  I once had a panic attack on a plane and while it was very scary, I don't think a single person noticed.  I took a Valium, put on a podcast, a sleep mask, shook for about 20 minutes, then drifted off to sleep.  I shamefully admit that I haven't flown since then, although I really would like to try when I have the time for a getaway.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Betsy21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:06:48 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply Journey2Calm :)

I'm determined that I'm gonna do it, and then I am going to feel like superwoman and have my own victory party when I get home!!

Yeah its so true isnt it that when your panicking only you notice! To everyone else you look fine! I'm so scared of going 'insane' on a flight :'( all i think is "oh my god I just don't want to go crazy and disturb other passengers!"

At the minute I've got 6 days till I go, then i'll be there for 10 days. Determined to do it. I will post a blog of my journey on here to help anyone who wants to go away. I'm sure the bit before the actual thing is the worst :)

Thank you lovely  :-* xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bookmark and Share

Offline Betsy21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 06:16:02 PM »
PS: when I get back I'll let you know all about it to hopefully help you get the courage to go away :* I promise you, if I can do it you can do it!! :)

Hugs and love!! x
Bookmark and Share

Online TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 06:16:26 PM »
You are going to do it and be so proud of yourself and have a great time!!

I would do what Journey did lol I am scare of flying and really no place I want to fly too and no family over seas or friends but I always wanted to see the world but just never could due to work and raising a family so go and have fun and come back and tell us all about it okay!!

So exciting and remember not all anxiety is the bad kind it can also be excitement !!

Have fun!!
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Offline Betsy21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 07:17:54 PM »
Thanks for your lovely positive post Tuliplover  :bigsmile: it was just what I needed to hear

I don't want to look back when I'm 90 and think that my anxiety got the best of me!

By the way, the place I'm going is Sri Lanka. Its seriously beautiful, I'm lucky to go really (even though at the minute I feel like: ahh why on earth am I doing this!) LOL

I am planning a blog post with pictures when I get back (its the only thing keeping me going is thinking of being able to write my experiences when I get back lol) so I will post it here and then you might feel like its somewhere you want to go!

Looking on the bright side, even though Sri Lanka is halfway around the world from me, it is a very peaceful country so luckily for that. I think I'd feel worse going somewhere like Mexico where its just people partying and no peace!!!!

x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Journey2Calm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »
LOVE the blogging idea and I am so inspired that you are going to face your fears and do this!  Keep checking in prior to your departure for plenty of pep talks!  :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Betsy21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 07:46:33 PM »
Hello!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been so excited to write this post to you guys so here goes..

I EFFING DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I flew 12 hrs to Sri lanka and spent 11 days with husbands family. I am so so so happy, I seriously almost cancelled due to feeling to scared about it, but I went and did it. I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way - I thought I would definitely end up cutting my holiday short and leaving after a few days - but guess what? I extended my holiday by

I spent my entire holiday excited to tell you guys about it and the blog post I promised will be ready by tomorrow in which case I will send you a link!

I cannot even really tell you how I did it because it still boggles my mind that I actually did it with hardly any panic attacks!!!!!! All I can say is that I was soooo busy my entire trip that I just didn't even have time to be nervous or overthink anything! (I went to Turkey last year and all I did was relax, which was horrible and I had the worst panic-crying attacks every night)

Anyway, I just want you to know that seriously, you can EFFING do this!!!!!! You can!!!!! Go on, try it!!!! Email me if you need extra advice (caitlintrotman@*****) and I'll be soo happy to help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Betsy21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 07:57:53 PM »
I meant to say extended my trip by 1 extra day.

Also, it looks like my email address wont be published on here! But when I send you my blog post, you can get my name from there and add me on *****?

I think the number one reason I made it through the holiday was how busy I was (which youll be able to tell in the blog post when I finally get the long thing written!). Most days I was in the door and then out the door again! I found that the only times I got anxious was when I had some time to myself and I occupied my time constantly.

Anyway, I really really hope that this encourages you. I really thought of you on my trip. I told my husband 'I cant wait to get home and tell them I've done it!' its the best feeling. I was almost ready to cancel (like going on the airline website and looking at the cancel button type of cancel!) but now I am so so so so so so glad I didn't.

This is definitely my biggest challenge! I'm drinking some wine to celebrate!!!!!!!
Bookmark and Share