Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Overkill or not?  (Read 114 times)

Offline ryates80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Overkill or not?
« on: June 23, 2014, 09:23:24 PM »
In the last week or less I've been to the er 4 times (including now), urgent care 3 or 4 and the dentist. It started with left face pain and perceived facial swelling?. Dentist said no red flags, ct scan at er said no sinus issue. Then was concern over the ct scan dye causing renal failure. Back to er kidneys are fine but urine showed "infection". Urgent care twice for urine tests that came back clear. Now I have a fever blister that I think is staph and my gland under my chin is swollen. So I felt lightheaded and went to er again because I think I'm septic. I really don't know if I'm over doing it or if something is actually wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ryates80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Overkill or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:35:30 PM »
Plus the nausea, diarrhea and no sleep from anxiety :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Maryjo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »
I actually have a staph infection in my kidneys right now, I got it when my stent was taken out. Staff (at least for me) can be really hard to get rid of. However, I used to be like you, maybe not quite as extreme but I would go to the ER a few times a month when I was having kidney problems ( I had a nophrostomy tube that caused major infections and stones) and I also had half my kidney taken out. At the time it seemed emergent to me because my health was failing quickly, I went into kindey failure and was super sick. But then I reached my breaking point when I went to the hospital twice in one weekend after a car accident (I was having horrible pain plus found out I had several cysts in my abdomen one that had ruptured) and the doctor gave me a pysch evaluation for going twice in one weekend. Telling me that these things are not emergencies, I guess it clicked then that pretty much 85% of the stuff I've ever gone to the hospital for was not emergent. Now the times when they were (one was life threatening I actually legally died) I was stuck waiting in the ER waiting room until I passed out and stopped breathing because it was so backed up with minor injuries. I guess, to answer your question yes that is overkill. But I also know how it is to think what you're going through is "life threatening" especially if major pain in involved. I actually have better successes and have gotten a diagnosis when I wait it out and make an appointment with my GP. ER and urgent care places only look for things that will kill you, once you're stabilized they will not dig too deep. If you're concerned go to your doctor, I'm sure you will get better results and he will be more active.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Maryjo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 09:53:38 PM »
Also if you were septic you would be too sick and out of it to get on here and ask. That goes for anything that would be major. Take a few deep breaths and try to calm yourself. You might even want to ask for an anxiety pill while there, once relaxed if you're still having pain then I would address the pain that you're feeling after the anxiety pill.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 10:01:50 PM »
My internal medicine physician said to stay away from the ER if possible. It is best to call your physician and explain your symptoms and concerns.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline ryates80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 12:24:00 AM »
Thank you for your replies. I hate when I let it control me so much. I miss out on time I should be with my family. I think its about time to get over my fear of all meds and take my Zoloft again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ryates80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 06:51:35 AM »
I was feeling better for a short time. That's until I learned that a cold sore infection can go to your brain and kill you. I have one now along with swollen glands. Im terrified again and I also read stress lowers the immune system so I have more of a chance to get it!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 06:09:26 PM »
So your chance is like .0002% instead of .0001%?

Yeah, it can happen.  But it's almost certainly not going to.  How many people have cold sores?  I think literally everyone gets them sometimes.  There's an over the counter cream you can get to reduce the time you have them, I think.  Go pick some of that up. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything