Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hard week-need help  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Egg

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hard week-need help
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 06:54:57 AM »
Yes, the twitches do sometimes stop.  But honestly, during my first bout with it, they didn't truly stop for seven or eight months.

There is not perfect correlation, but for me, in general, lower anxiety over time = fewer twitches.

In my experience, looking for the underlying cause, or thinking about what could be causing it, has been nothing but anxiety fodder. Autoimmune response, dehydration, mineral deficiencies, "excessive" exercise ... After going down all those roads in my mind, I've determined that for me, seeking the "underlying cause" is a version of reassurance-seeking which does not allay, but instead feeds anxiety. I just need to accept, and continue to accept, that I have anxiety, which causes REAL physical symptoms.

And yes -- I too have created symptoms with my mind. Entirely possible. And I am a very logical person.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 240
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 07:11:46 AM »
Yes, the twitches do sometimes stop.  But honestly, during my first bout with it, they didn't truly stop for seven or eight months.

There is not perfect correlation, but for me, in general, lower anxiety over time = fewer twitches.

In my experience, looking for the underlying cause, or thinking about what could be causing it, has been nothing but anxiety fodder. Autoimmune response, dehydration, mineral deficiencies, "excessive" exercise ... After going down all those roads in my mind, I've determined that for me, seeking the "underlying cause" is a version of reassurance-seeking which does not allay, but instead feeds anxiety. I just need to accept, and continue to accept, that I have anxiety, which causes REAL physical symptoms.

And yes -- I too have created symptoms with my mind. Entirely possible. And I am a very logical person.

beautiful and ever so true   :happy0001:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 240
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
and dear lord if twitching was a game ender, I would have died back in '97.

NK,  respectfully YOUR anxious over thinking, your monitoring of your body and reassurance seeking is what is keeping you in the anxiety loop.

while I know right now this will be a hard task for you..... but in moments of calm try to look at what is going on in your life (and I don't mean symptoms).  A stressful life ---financial issues, relationship issues, school, environment-- are often what is at the core of the anxiety.  Then take a look at your upbringing, how do you generally cope with stress.  How do you solve problems.  things ignored or swept under the rug, eventually come back to bite you in the bum.  Sometimes just a really full plate can tip a mind/body over the edge.  If you take a careful look (and you are honest with yourself) you will find clues to what really set off all of this.  AND how the ensuing panic over the anxiety symptoms became ALS.

In the end no one here, no doctor or medical test, no one in your life will convince you that you are not suffering from ALS or whatever new ailment replaces this one.  You are going to have to come to this conclusion on your own. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »
Depends on the day for me. Mondays always been bad. I still think about how I couldn't open a sealed ham package two months ago. Eventually I got it with my teeth and hands. Even though the bet one I bought I opened with ease, still freaks me out. Also the apple juice my brother opened for me and his gf also couldn't open, weird! Last week my gf had to open some chicken nuggets for me and I re looked at the bag and opened it from the other side. Although, she did have me open something for her last week.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Egg

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 01:44:56 PM »
Sometimes a package randomly gets sealed with too much glue, or the plastic is heat-sealed so that it is too thick and won't tear.  It happens.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »
Yeah, if I had trouble one time I'm sure I would every other time. Not here and there. I just tried opening a jar of peanut butter with my pointer finger and thumb, it was really hard. Switched to a small jar and it was a lot easier. I'm nuts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 07:06:05 PM »
Shawn, do you know what atrophy near the pinky looks like? Anyone for that matter.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 09:40:29 PM »
Shawn, do you know what atrophy near the pinky looks like? Anyone for that matter.

This. Stop this. Self-checking is the first thing you need to quit.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 01:09:08 PM »
I also noticed twitching I can see but not feel in that hand. Great.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »
Look!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: