Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Herbs for Anxiety?  (Read 153 times)

Offline abigailb

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Herbs for Anxiety?
« on: June 23, 2014, 04:09:54 PM »
Hello! So to start, right now I am taking 30mg of Celexa per day, plus .5mg Klonopin PRN for anxiety (possibly GAD).

I have an older coworker who objects to medicines, and she swears to me that Chamomile and Passion Flower are the key to stopping anxiety. I was wondering if any of you have ever tried herbs or supplements to help with your anxiety. Did it work? Did you take them while you were on medications? My mom is a pharmacy tech, so I know a lot about different medications and I do think what I'm taking is good for me, but at the same time I wonder if I took a non-traditional route as well, would I see more improvement?

I plan to discuss this with my doctor at my next appointment, but I'd like to hear from you too! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Herbs for Anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »
Magnesium. A lot of people have good things to report, me included.
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got - Graffito

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 06:35:13 PM »
I have an older coworker who objects to medicines, and she swears to me that Chamomile and Passion Flower are the key to stopping anxiety.

People who have not had a full blown anxiety disorder don't have a clue about just how devastating they are. If you need to supplement a high SSRI dose with a benzodiazepine to control the anxiety then believe me, chamomile and passion flower are not going to cut it.

Your best shot would be to supplement the meds with fish oil and moderate exercise. Both increase neurogenesis in the hippocampal regions of the brain which is how antidepressants work.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline abigailb

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
I have an older coworker who objects to medicines, and she swears to me that Chamomile and Passion Flower are the key to stopping anxiety.

People who have not had a full blown anxiety disorder don't have a clue about just how devastating they are. If you need to supplement a high SSRI dose with a benzodiazepine to control the anxiety then believe me, chamomile and passion flower are not going to cut it.

Your best shot would be to supplement the meds with fish oil and moderate exercise. Both increase neurogenesis in the hippocampal regions of the brain which is how antidepressants work.

Ian

Thanks Ian! I'm with you, more than a little skeptical of the 'natural' remedy. Is there a particular brand/type of fish oil that you would recommend, or can I take anything?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 04:51:33 PM »
Hi Abigailb  :action-smiley-065:

I am re-posting a message from another thread regarding fish oil:

Hope this helps,

To follow up on Ian's last post, Omega-3 are showing great promise in the area of depression and anxiety.

In an excellent book that I have read and applying for my own health:
The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs - Dr. Ilardi, Stephen. Had very high ratings from readers, especially on the use of Omega-3 Therapy (Step -1) of the program.

According to the author of this book -  Dr. Ilardi, Stephen:

All direct quotations from the book will appear in RED...

A:  The starting dose recommended by the author of this book is : "I recommend a starting omega-3 dose of 1000 mg of EPA and 500 mg of DHA each day to all of my patients".  - which I started with and later (30 days), you can double that amount if you want.

A: "What’s the difference between fish oil capsules and liquid supplements? Is one better than the other? They’re just different ways of taking the same oil. No one likes the taste of fish oil (even the high-quality stuff), so most people prefer taking the oil in capsule form, which prevents us from having to taste the oil itself. On the other hand, some of us don’t like swallowing big pills. That’s why I’m among the brave souls who take the fish oil “straight-up,” right out of the bottle. Luckily, most liquid products now have a lemon flavoring to help mask the fishy taste, and I’ve found that chasing the oil with a shot of grapefruit juice works wonders to cover up the aftertaste."

My Choices:  For Liquid - Carlson The Very Finest Fish Oil Omega-3's DHA & EPA, Lemon 16.9 fl oz - Is my personal recommendation, Carlson has a very strong reputation for quality, but you can find less expensive fish oils.

For Capsules:  You  can always send me P.M. - since the variety - quality and prices are numerous - but make sure that they are "molecularly distilled" fish oil supplement.  This process removes any contaminants and impurities all the way down to the molecular level.

Q: "I’m not sure I want to take fish oil pills every day. Is it possible to get enough omega-3s naturally, by incorporating the right kinds of meat and other foods into my daily diet? "

A:  "Yes, it’s possible, but it’s fairly difficult. Fatty fish—especially salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines, anchovies, herring, whitefish, and shad—are by far the richest natural source of EPA and DHA, so the obvious strategy is to start adding plenty of these fish into your daily diet. But it takes a lot of fish to get an antidepressant dose of omega-3s. On average, you’ll need two to three servings each day."

Q: Is there a blood test to measure Omega-3 ratios?

"Unfortunately, your doctor’s office probably won’t be set up to do this important blood test. They might not even know how to order it. So you may need to contact a lab that does the test and set things up yourself. One of the best such labs is Nutrasource Diagnostics; you can call them or go to their Web site to order the test. They’ll step you through the process, which turns out to be surprisingly simple. And, if you have health insurance (and the support of your doctor), the expense may be fully or partially covered."

I hope this helps  :action-smiley-065:

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 05:58:47 PM »
Is there a particular brand/type of fish oil that you would recommend, or can I take anything?

I just buy the cheapest at the time. Of the two main fatty acids in fish oil, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) seems to be more important than docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) for easing anxiety and depression so if the cost is about the same choose the brand with the highest EPA-DHA ratio  (Samieri C, 2012; Sublette ME, 2011; Martins JG. 2009).

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »
Ian - makes a good point on using any type of Grapefruit Juice -    :sick0002:

One of the best deals I found for Fish Oil Caps, that I purchase on a regular basis.  -  Has the 2:1 ration of EPA to DHA as recommend in the book -The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs - Dr. Ilardi, Stephen.

NOW ULTRA OMEGA-3 - 500 EPA / 250 DHA - SOFTGELS per capsule / 180 caps at about $25 on the net.
-      Recommended 2:1 Ration of EPA to DHA
-      One of the highest dosage per capsule in the market right now.
-      Cheapest per unit of EPA+DHA - about 4 times cheaper than the Nordic Naturals brand
-      Molecularly distilled, Enteric coated to avoid the "fish burping" of some other products.

Of course, with such competition - better deals will appear on the market... Whichever product you get, make sure that at least it matches the  quality of NOW ULTRA OMEGA-3 at a similar price. :happy0151:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Tags: