Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety Resurfaced  (Read 89 times)

Offline leahnc

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety Resurfaced
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »
Hi.  Im new here.  Ive been doing really great for the past 2 years.  Anxiety, OCD has been pretty minimal thanks to medication and some relaxing techniques.  Anyway Im glad these forums exist - its nice to meet others that share your struggles.  Not that I wish anxiety on anyone.

So the past week, ive been struggling with some health issues.  Irritable bowel and headaches.  My OCD has returned with a vengeance after having these health issues

My compulsions are researching topics that worry me, hand washing.  I fear Im going to get sick from raw meat, expired foods, parasites. 

So the reason Im posting:  We have a raccoon that keeps getting into our trash.  This morning I went out and cleaned it up again.  They knocked the cans over even with stuff stacked on top..  I didn't have gloves in the house, so used plastic bags over my hands to clean the mess up.  I sprayed the trash cans with bleach.  Now the trash bins are stored in our shed. 

So I come inside and think about raccoon's and how they carry rabies and many other diseases.  But what really freaked me out is what i read about their feces.  It is very deadly due the roundworm.  Ugh.  I didn't actually see feces or smell it, but my thoughts tell me it was there.   In the past I would've avoided cleaning up the mess and had my husband do it, but now I try to push past my fears and take care of things. 

So Ive lectured my kids about not going barefoot outside, even though we always do.  I'm freaking out.   I'm even trying to be like oh well, whatever about it - but I cant stop worrying.    Thanks for reading.  Any suggestions?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sunshine73

• Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety Resurfaced
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
Oh man, I hate when the obsessive thoughts creep back up like that! Maybe focus on the fact that your husband has cleaned up the mess in the past and he didn't get sick so there's no reason to believe you will either. Also, you didn't see, smell or handle any feces so there's nothing at all to suggest that you were even exposed to animal waste. Just keep reminding yourself of that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ashmaster

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »
My friend got bit by a racoon and he is fine if its of any reassurance to you. Also rat feces ect.. can have diseases in it but the likelyhood of you getting these are very slim.
Bookmark and Share

Offline leahnc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 06:23:05 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I told my husband my fears and he rolled his eyes which ironically made me realize how ridiculous I can be sometimes.  My thoughts sure do get carried away.

If I got bit by a raccoon my anxiety would be through the roof, glad your friend is ok
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 07:24:15 PM »
Have you checked to see if there are any services in your area to trap and get rid of the raccoon?  They're cute but they are horrible pests. 

I wouldn't worry about diseases, though.  You just have a nuisance on your hands. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: