Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Bad leg pain - worried about MS or bone cancer  (Read 226 times)

Offline bhandley

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Im not actually relaxed I just like having a cat
    • Poke This Member
Bad leg pain - worried about MS or bone cancer
« on: June 22, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »
I woke up with radiating pain in my leg one morning it felt like it was going sort of between my hip and knee and sometimes a little bit down my shin, its at the front of my leg. It wasnt severe but annoying. This was thursday morning, I went to work and I could feel it still there but it was mild and not too much of a problem more of just a strange sensation that felt not quite right, but I started to worry about dvt because I had a root canal the day before. I had an appointment with my doctor on the friday so I told him of my worries and he said that it didnt sound like bone cancer because bone cancer is a gnawing pain and I had no swelling to indicate a dvt, so he did a few tests pulling my leg in certain ways and asking if I felt any pain but I didnt. So he told me it was muscoskeletal and it would go away.
The next day I went shopping and sat in the passenger seat of a car, I had just woken up and when i got into the car (the glove box was down with drinks in the cup holders) my legs were restricted to a sitting with feet on the floor position and I was in so much pain, it made me feel sick, I couldnt talk to my friend I just had to sit there and deal with it. It felt like waves of pain from my knee going down and up my shin and thigh on the anterior inside. We went to get breakfast and I had to lie down in the parking lot and do exercises. I felt much better walking around and sitting down mostly hurt. On the way back I sat in the back with my legs up across the back seat and I was mostly ok. Throughout the rest of the day I was mostly ok until I started massaging my knee then I had the same problem all over again.

Today I wasnt woken up by any pain like I was on the first night, and my leg felt much better I could feel something going on, almost like when your joint needs clicking and is kind of stuck there, that kind of feeling in my knee but generally it was ok, as I walked around more I could only feel a slight difference between my legs I had no radiating pains, but then I tested my knee massage theory and massaged my knee again and this caused it to all come back, and that time it felt like a dull ache in the knee and dull aches in my thigh, not as severe but still unbearable, I got rid of it by lying on my front and keeping my legs straight.

Ive left it for a while and now my leg feels ok again I can sit cross legged without issues, it feels better when my legs are straight and walking are the only patterns I can pick up on, and massaging my knee triggers the problem.

My friend thinks its a nerve issue. I am absolutely terrified its MS or bone cancer, especially bone cancer, because of the dull ache and I cant figure out why massaging my knee would cause problems.

Does anyone know what this could be, should I be worried? Does it sound like a strain or a trapped nerve?

Any help appreciated! Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline artsyJ

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bad leg pain - worried about MS or bone cancer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 02:58:10 PM »
I have been having the same weird radiating pain in my shins.....and I've been worried, but I notice it going away when I do not focus on it. That's what makes me sure its anxiety. Also do you feel the need to move your toes or scrunch them up? I do! Its bizarre! My muscles also jolt as well. Like I said, you are obviously focusing on the problem way too much! Since it goes away and comes back I would assume it was just anxiety, just talking about it makes my shins act up Again! I too like you are worried no matter what people tell me! I don't have much advice, but you are not alone with this symptom. (MS and anxiety have nearly identical symptoms by the way)
Bookmark and Share

Offline bhandley

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 03:01:59 PM »
Hi thanks, no I dont feel like I need to move my toes, When my leg hurts I feel like my whole body needs to squirm because I cant bear it, and I end up lying very still on the floor to try and get rid of it. It doesnt appear to be triggered by anxiety more just rubbing my knee with a lot of pressure. I hate this it sure sucks sorry you are also having problems.
Bookmark and Share

Offline artsyJ

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
I would say to stop rubbing your knee for a few days, go on walks or do other forms of physical activity that you enjoy, and keep your mind OFF of your leg pain as much as possible. If it is still prevalent than perhaps get an xray? But you have already been to a physician, so I would assume that you are fine. Also, if you have had any sort of blood work done recently and it is normal that is another assurance in your mind that it is not bone cancer. I mean, if anxiety can cause severe headaches I'm sure it can cause severe pain in any part of the body. You may still be anxious on a subconscious level. Hope this helps!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bhandley

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »
Any replies help so thank you. I had blood work done on the 8th of may and they were all normal but when I was in the drs office I noticed on his screen it said my inflammation levels were flagged up. I asked him about it and he said it was only slightly elevated and that doctors see this in overweight people.
At the moment it almost feels like the inside of my knee needs to click which makes me think there is a tumor in there.

Im debating going back to the doctors tomorrow to update them and to ask what to do about work should it play up badly again and perhaps ask for some pain killers? Or should I try and get on with it? I also thought about maybe going swimming and going into the jacuzzi to see if it helps. What do you think?
Bookmark and Share

Offline artsyJ

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 05:28:35 PM »
I'm not a doctor, so I'm not going to give you medical advice, I can say though, that I am young and have had pains and aches and down right STRANGE sensations that I should not have for my age. I have always been fine. That is my case though. Since your blood was normal I would assume that their is no cancer. The inflammation could be a number of things! Any awkward pressure can cause pain and inflammation or weird sensations it doesn't have to be a tumor! Although in our anxious minds it always is! Hope this helps as well.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: