Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Worried about brain tumor....or leukemia??  (Read 208 times)

Offline mct425

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Worried about brain tumor....or leukemia??
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:12:51 AM »
I started feeling "off" on Friday.  Lethargic and achy with a slight headache on top of my head and across my nose. Advil worked for about 5 hours then it returned. Had a good nights sleep but woke up Saturday still not feeling right. Took my temp and it was elevated (99.3) but Advil helped again. Figured it was a bug. But last night I went to lie down and the headache was worse. Tossed and turned all night with a mild headache and lots of sweating. Figured the fever broke. Woke up this morning-still have the headache and temp is now 98.8 (mine is normally 97). So now I'm worried something sinister is happening. Headache when lying down (isn't going away by standing though), night sweats, and elevated temp going on day 3!! 

Hubby says call the dr tomorrow if it's still there but is highly unconcerned and says if it were something sinister there would be other signs with a real fever, not a slightly elevated temp. But I don't know,

Feeling scared-help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 205
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried about brain tumor....or leukemia??
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 08:21:09 AM »
 I am sorry your catastrophic thinking is getting the better of you.  Unfortunately that is what thinking disorders do.

Bottom line:  all you have is a virus of some sort.  There is NO NEED or EVIDENCE that you have some horrific thing causing your symptoms.  BTW---- I've known 7 people (either firsthand or secondhand, two being my dad and sister) who have had brain tumors.  I've known three children who have had leukemia.  Again the evidence you have right now points to a virus made worse by your H.A. 

What are you doing for your anxiety disorder?  What is working?  What isn't?  What are you willing to do to get on your healing path?
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 08:51:33 AM »
So can a virus like this go on for days? I've had 24 hour fever bugs but never one that lasted for days (unless it was something like flu, strep, etc.). I just fell blah with an elevated temp and headache/pressure.

I worried about brain tumors when I started getting weird facial pressure last year. That was nearly 9 months ago, and while the facial pressure is still there, I've come to accept that it's not fatal as it hasn't gotten worse or had other symptoms appear.

Because whatever I have now makes that pressure feel worse, I think it's resurfaced the bt fear :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 08:56:51 AM »
why couldn't a virus last several days?  just because you have had viral bugs that behaved differently in the past?  the worst i see going on here (disease -wise) is having a viral infection go n to a bacterial one, ie, ear infection or sinus infection.

if facial pressure was a bt tumor, then i have had bt tumor off/on for years as have millions of other people.

remember you are allowing fears to do your thinking for you.  that is all
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 08:36:37 PM »
So it's the end of day 3 and this crud is still here :(. Advil keeps symptoms at bay but after it wears off the headache starts and then the elevated temp. I also noticed the headache gets worse when I lay down or bend over. It's just weird that there are no other symptoms (ie sore throat, congestion). It's just fatigue, headache, and elevated temp.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 08:51:36 PM »
hope you get to feeling better soon.  it is no fun being sick.  I especially  hate headaches that feel worse when laying down.  Bending over with headaches are no picnic either.

Remember jumping to catastrophic conclusions is a product of your anxiety disorder.  Once you address your anxiety disorder, you will discover that viral and/or othe minor illnesses will not become "cancer" other "dire" things.

What proactive things are you doing to address your disorder?  What is working?  What isn't?  What are you willing to do to get better?
Bookmark and Share

Offline noella6

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 09:24:45 PM »
I've recently found that looking at things in a 'statistical' sense helps to calm me down a bit.
For instance, if I feel off or unwell for 3 days running, what is the likelihood of it being something as dramatic as cancer? Probably fairly low. It is much more likely to be a virus or bug or allergies or something more common and mundane.
But the anxiety likes to cut out the middle man - so to speak - and get right to the big stuff, doesn't it?

I've also had about 5000 symptoms of disease in the past couple of years, yet no actual diseases. It makes you think, sometimes.

Waiting it out is the hardest thing to do, anxiety hates waiting, it wants immediate answers, 100% certainty, but we can't have that, ever. Nobody can. Beating HA is accepting this uncertainty, and having patience to see how things pan out. I really wish I had got to that point myself, but sadly I am still entrenched.

Like if you look back at all of your fears and symptoms over the space of a year, how many of them fizzled out after days,weeks, etc?
This one could, too. And then we will replace it with another. I expect that now. It's no way to live.

Bookmark and Share
"Giants exist to deceive, they retreat if they're clearly perceived"

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 07:28:38 AM »
Ok-day 4 and the headache is gone! Temp is down to 98.3 so no fever and the feeling of complete exhaustion is gone. But now I'm left feeling tired-not sick tired, but "empty" tired. Guessing that's to be expected after 3 days of ick. But my ha keeps trying to search for those symptoms just to confirm they aren't there (bending over to check headache, taking temp too often). Does anyone else experience this?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: