Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: and i'm back =( fast heart rate- freaking out  (Read 153 times)

Offline soccerash21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
and i'm back =( fast heart rate- freaking out
« on: June 21, 2014, 11:12:17 PM »
I haven't been here in a while and I was doing so good. =( Until today.

For almost all of the day, my pulse has been pretty fast. I think I got some sort of food sickness or something yesterday, because all day I have been having stomach problems (sorry, probably tmi), but I have been staying hydrated. However, yesterday I felt pretty icky all day and had a massive headache and other flu like symptoms for most of the day. Anyways, my heart rate is still beating pretty fast, and idk why but it's freaking me out =( I had this happen in December and drove myself crazy over it, so I went to the er and had an ekg and blood drawn, only to be told it was anxiety and i was sent home with xanax. Everytime I go into a doctors office and they take my blood pressure, my heart rate is usually high, but I always just explain that I have severe anxiety in doctors offices, and they just brush it off. But not I am spazzing and am thinking that it was a mistake, and that there really is something wrong. I have been checking my temp all day (because I thought I was catching something), but so far, it has been normal (knock on wood is stays that way). But my heart rate just seems crazy. It feels like I can feel it pulsing out of my chest, and I am freaked that it is a sign something terrible is wrong with me. =( I have had some bad anxiety over the past few days. I recently heard about someone having a brain aneurysm out of nowhere, which really freaked me out, and I watched a movie about cancer (bad idea, i know), which freaked me again. So maybe this is where my anxiety is coming from over the past few days? I tried relaxing but it didn't do much. :( I'm just paranoid that everytime I told doctors that my high heart rate was due to anxiety, I was wrong and had something underlying wrong with me, and I am on the verge of going to the er. Please, can anyone help calm me down? I don't think it's normal to have a high heart rate all day.. is this something that I need to worry about now? :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: and i'm back =( fast heart rate- freaking out
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:54:05 AM »
Did you see The Fault in Our Stars?  Just asking because seems like everyone's seeing that cancer movie except me right now! 

Sorry your HA is back.  Those are definitely reasons anxiety could return. 

How high is your heart rate?  Faster than average heartbeat and a pounding sensation are classic anxiety symptoms.  I've been having luck reducing my palpitations with 4-8-7 breathing, I think they call it.  Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 8, breathe out for 7, repeat until you're calmer.  I forget the reason behind it working, but it's the only breathing exercise that's ever helped me.  I was stunned that it did.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
Re: and i'm back =( fast heart rate- freaking out
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 01:50:55 PM »
Okay, well all kinds of things can cause a high heart rate, so few of which are dangerous. If you're sick or having stomach issues, that can definitely contribute. If you're sick and dehydrated, that's another one. Dehydration is huge. Is the weather warmer where you are? That can make it worse.

High heart rate by itself is indicative of nothing. I get that pounding feeling sometimes, too, that's just how it is. Indigestion is a big culprit, and I would notice, when my anxiety was high and I noticed things like this, that if I could make myself burp, that my fast heart rate would decrease.

And when you say you have a fast heart rate, how fast are you talking? Also, I guarantee that now that you're focused on it, it's going to quicken as well. The heart's part of the parasympathetic nervous system, which means that it works whether we're conscious of it working or not—like breathing, we really have no control over it. But as it is, the more we pay attention, the wonkier it gets. Hard I know, but try not fixating on it, and I'm sure it'll go down.

If you're monitoring your heart rate and taking your pulse—stop it. Stop taking your temp, too. Health monitoring ramps up anxiety. Distraction, distraction, distraction is key. You might have this worry, but the more you can do to not indulge your worry, the better off you'll be.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Tags: