Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hearing loss worries (is this really happening?)  (Read 114 times)

Offline anxious song_m

• Rec's: 0
  • people are strange, when you're a stranger
    • Poke This Member
Hearing loss worries (is this really happening?)
« on: June 21, 2014, 11:11:41 PM »
hey everyone.  I took a moderately long hiatus from this site, but yes, I have kept up on my worrying.
Latest is this issue with my hearing.  I feel like it is muted, but I seem to be hearing ok.  Went to my ear nose and throat who also had a trained audiologist
and he said my hearing came back normal or even a bit above normal.

So, yeah.  There's this discrepancy with how I feel and how things actually 'are'.  I should have you know that I have long had an obsession with losing my hearing as well,
since about age 23.  (I'm 31 now).  Still, it feels real.  I listen to ear buds frequently and there are all these reports about how they ruin your ears (THANKS GOOGLE!).
I am not even sure if I am hearing 'normally'.  The music doesn't sound loud when I'm plugged in.  Am I just trying to create a problem to obsess over?

Feedback is valued.  It feels nice to be back here.  I hope you all are getting the answers you need.  :)
Bookmark and Share
"Never play a short con when you can play it for the long run" -Frank Fontaine (Bioshock)

"Congratulations...you're still alive.  So many people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you.  Not anymore..."  - Jigsaw (Saw)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hearing loss worries (is this really happening?)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:50:17 AM »
If you're worried about earbuds, just get some standard headphones.  Bulkier to carry around, but SO much more comfortable (or maybe I'm the only one who finds earbuds horribly uncomfortable.) 

I doubt earbuds are damaging your hearing, but depending on how often you wear them, perhaps you're pushing wax into your ears and that's making things sound a little muffled.  That's easily rectified - pour peroxide mixed with water (half and half) into your ears, hold for ten minutes (ignore the buzzing/popping of it when it bubbles; that's supposed to happen) then tilt your head to pour it out, and put in a couple of drops of rubbing alcohol to evaporate any leftover liquid.  Repeat for the other ear.  I do this all the time to make sure I'm not getting too much wax buildup (I see to make more earwax than the average person, because my ears always seem to be getting clogged.)  It's also supposedly a good way to head off an impending headcold, but that's never worked for me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxious song_m

• Rec's: 0
  • people are strange, when you're a stranger
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hearing loss worries (is this really happening?)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »
i will try that!  Thanks!
Bookmark and Share
"Never play a short con when you can play it for the long run" -Frank Fontaine (Bioshock)

"Congratulations...you're still alive.  So many people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you.  Not anymore..."  - Jigsaw (Saw)

Tags: hearing loss fear deaf