Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Swollen glands/nodes in neck  (Read 187 times)

Offline blakebeck94

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Swollen glands/nodes in neck
« on: June 21, 2014, 10:42:10 PM »
What's up everybody? I've been lurking this site for the past month or two as I've dealt with health anxiety. Since April I've diagnosed myself with lymphoma, ALS, brain cancer, and now I'm onto salivary gland cancer.

Some background: about two years ago I was suffering from a severe cold and generalized anxiety, and I noticed my submandibular glands were swollen (one more so than the other). I went to my doctor, they prescribed antibiotics, and my symptoms cleared up except my glands were still swollen. Eventually I forgot about them, only worrying about them every so often, until this year when I consulted Dr. Google (that bastard) and suddenly I thought it had to be lymphoma! I haven't had any symptoms, of course, but I went to the health center at my college. Once again, they prescribed me antibiotics. Nothing. When I came home for the summer, I went to my doctor. He gave it a look and said he wasn't the least bit concerned about it. He did refer me to an ENT, but I'm hesitant to go as my family and friends all think I'm fine (and a little bit crazy).

So really, I'm just asking for some reassurance. Surely, if it was lymphoma, salivary gland cancer, or any other kind of dubious disease, I'd be experiencing more symptoms or be dead after two years. They've stayed the same size for two years, only hurt/swell when I play with them, and they've stayed the same consistency (firm but not rock hard). So, could this just be a permanently swollen lymph node or salivary gland? Anybody else experience something like this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline blakebeck94

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Swollen glands/nodes in neck
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »
I was doing fine right after I posted this and then I read about adenoid cystic carcinoma and how it could take years to grow. Need some help, guysv :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline StrongintheFaith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Swollen glands/nodes in neck
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
I have a lymph node in my neck that's been enlarged since August when I had a 2 month bout with bronchitis. My ENT checks it every 8 weeks just to make me happy but he's not at all worried. He said lump nodes can stay swollen for long periods of time and be totally benign and said a sign of something more serious would be if it kept getting bigger and it hasn't. Hope that helps!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: