Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Fish Oil?  (Read 111 times)

Offline comoso

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fish Oil?
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:08:20 PM »
I used to take fish oil like crazy when I was doing a lot of bodybuilding prior to my extreme anxiety disorder kicking in last August.  I pretty much cut out all of the supplements then.  I would use pre workout stims to get extra energy for workouts and those were definitely a no no when my body became super sensitive.

Anyway, I'm on zoloft 62.5 and klonopin .5 per day.  I've been reading about the benefits of fish oil on anxiety.  Anyone have success with fish oil helping their situation?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 91
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fish Oil?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 07:23:28 PM »
Anyone have success with fish oil helping their situation?

Omega-3 fatty acids/fish oil does have significant benefits for anxiety and depression as it too can induce neurogenesis in the hippocampal areas of the brain which is thought to be how antidepressants work. So, btw, does moderate exercise.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 07:34:44 PM »
How about crazy, run 4 miles, lift tons of weight, I'm dizzy as heck but I keep going because anxiety aint killed me yet?...lol  I sometimes, do that on good days.  I hope it's helping...
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 91
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 09:44:18 PM »
How about crazy, run 4 miles, lift tons of weight, I'm dizzy as heck but I keep going because anxiety aint killed me yet?

It might be way too much which is why I recommended moderate exercise. The problem with going hard is that lactic acid builds up and it is a potent anxiety, especially panic inducer, as is elevated CO2 levels. Both lactic acid and CO2 are used in research to bring on panic attacks in people that don't have anxiety disorders.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 10:40:30 PM »
I swear that's what happened to me.  Best shape of my life.  I was working out 2 hours per day hardcore and then BAM - PANIC ATTACK and all hell followed.  They tell me exercise betters it.  I'm guessing I better chill out some.  I did some major lifting today, feeling good and of course I got dizzy.  Maybe I just need to chill out a little until this stuff has settled down more.
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 20
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 10:58:46 PM »
I swear that's what happened to me.  Best shape of my life.  I was working out 2 hours per day hardcore and then BAM - PANIC ATTACK and all hell followed.  They tell me exercise betters it.  I'm guessing I better chill out some.  I did some major lifting today, feeling good and of course I got dizzy.  Maybe I just need to chill out a little until this stuff has settled down more.

It's possible you just did too much too quick.  If you haven't lifted for awhile you may want to take it slower.  But, weight lifting is certainly a great way to help manage anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »

Ian hit it right on the $$$ - Lactic Acid - Exercise Induced Panic Attacks - was the bain of my existence in the Gym, never knew why I would have panic attacks at the gym. 

A neurologist I was seeing figured this out back 1979 - Exercise Induced Panic Attacks in some individuals - and put me on Imipramine (older AD) . 

I would get most of my panic attacks in the Gym when I did fast paced Circuit Training - or Heavy Squats back in my day  ::)

Good Post Ian ! :grinning-smiley-003:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Tags: