Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: otc sleep meds and Zoloft  (Read 98 times)

Offline joe2014

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
otc sleep meds and Zoloft
« on: June 21, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Hi All - Just started Zoloft today and was wondering if its ok to mix otc sleep meds with it? From what I've read I could be dealing with some Zoloft induced insomnia going forwsrd. Haha I'm dealing with insomnia now so what's the big deal. Also, does anyone know if the insomnia from Zoloft is temporary?  Hey - if we could mix Zoloft with some kind of sleep aid we could call it ZZZZZoloft. Just kidding.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: otc sleep meds and Zoloft
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 06:25:28 PM »
Just started Zoloft today and was wondering if its ok to mix otc sleep meds with it? From what I've read I could be dealing with some Zoloft induced insomnia going forwsrd.

Guess this depends on what otc sleep meds you're taking. SSRI induced insomnia is quite common, however, some get the reverse and end up sleeping a lot. Small doses of the sedating antidepressant trazodone might be more effective than the otc stuff. At the typical 25-50mg dose there won't be any interaction with the Zoloft as trazodone only becomes an antidepressant at dose of about 200mg plus.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: