Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: what music helps you with your anxiety?  (Read 312 times)

Offline chriscam1234

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
what music helps you with your anxiety?
« on: June 21, 2014, 03:01:37 AM »
hi guys, I just stumbled across a post about music that helps with anxiety/depression. I thought it was a nice topic. I always feel like punk rock/emo is the best possible therapy for anxiety, depression, anger, or regret. Is there anyone who's with me on that? jawbreaker, rites of spring, flop, hum, dinosaur jr, weezer, saves the day, hawthorne heights, alkaline trio, descendents, the replacements. what do you guys get down on when you need music therapy?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Poke This Member
Re: what music helps you with your anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 07:49:17 AM »
Heck yeah, I freaking love dinosaur jr.

Punk rock is good if you're pissed off

Emo stuff like American football and joy division is good if you're depressed

Old modest mouse stuff is pretty depressing too.

Kinda funny how sad music helps us when we're sad.....you'd expect it to make it worse 
Bookmark and Share
"everything will be alright in the end. If everything's not alright, it's not quite the end!"

Offline Yuanfen

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 02:52:10 AM »
I've actually found a lot of help and comfort with the music from twenty one pilots. Awesome beats to either calm down to, or to rock out to to get the excess energy out. Their lyrics are based off a lot of issues surrounding anxiety and depression but in a way that make you feel less alone. I also like using online playlists from 8tracks and just search the tags for instrumental/study/background music to find soothing songs. Music is one of the first things I go to when I feel myself slipping and starting to panic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bocephus

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »
For me it's Yacht Rock...  70's and 80's easy listening, love and folk stuff...  Laugh if ya want but here's a list of some of my favorites - Christopher Cross, bread, hall and oats, cat Stevens, Gordon lightfoot, and so on...

2 songs in particular have been my go to songs for hard time lately and I'm not certain why but they are 'time' by the Alan parsons project and 'give me love' by George Harrison

And btw I'm only 39 but I love these kinds of tunes

And! I loved how in the movie ghost rider that he always listens to the carpenters and I would like to think he's doing it to calm himself down
Bookmark and Share

Offline TheFloyd

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 06:55:56 PM »
Pink Floyd and Radiohead.

I listen to music that has an 'anxiety-related theme' if you understand what I want to say. No 'upbeat' music to ignore the anxiety.
Examples:
Hey you - Pink Floyd: "Hey you out there in the cold. Getting lonely getting old. Can you feel me?"
How to dissapear completely - Radiohead: "I'm not here. This isn't happening."

I hope you guys understand what I mean haha  :P
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bocephus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »

I listen to music that has an 'anxiety-related theme' if you understand what I want to say. No 'upbeat' music to ignore the anxiety.
Examples:
Hey you - Pink Floyd: "Hey you out there in the cold. Getting lonely getting old. Can you feel me?"

Ah yeah Pink Floyd is awesome..

And yeah I totally understand.  Sometimes I listen to classic country because it's also got that kind of doe resting blues type music..
Bookmark and Share

Offline chriscam1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 05:41:58 AM »
Heck yeah, I freaking love dinosaur jr.

Punk rock is good if you're pissed off

Emo stuff like American football and joy division is good if you're depressed

Old modest mouse stuff is pretty depressing too.

Kinda funny how sad music helps us when we're sad.....you'd expect it to make it worse

awesome. sorry it took so long to get back to this, but yeah I understand why sad music can take sadness away. If you can provoke your feelings it gets out of your system. it's like yelling when you're angry. It's just a release.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chriscam1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 05:43:59 AM »

Examples:

yeah I listen to music that was written out of anxiety and stuff. I like alot of old green day, because they talk about that kind of thing alot.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 08:14:10 AM »
How about Rod Stewart "It's a Heartache...." or Neil Young "Harvest Moon," etc.

I'm trying to downsize being an old timer stuck with cassettes and CD's. So much Mozart, Beethoven, Verdi, Offenbach, Puccini, Bizet, etc. Oh, it's a heartache, nothing but a heartache..........Take any slow movement of a violin concerto and anxiety melts away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TheFloyd

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 09:29:28 AM »
Marillion is also GREAT!

You should really listen to the first 4 albums (Script for a Jester's tear, Fugazi, Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws).
Especially Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws are great if you like that kind of Angsty yet romantic and poetic music.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bittersweetlife

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 11:04:28 AM »
Toris Amos - Spark
Bookmark and Share
"There's a time & a place to die.. but this ain't it"

Hakuna Matata - "It means no worries"

“Anxiety's like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you very far.” - Jodi Picoult, Sing You Home

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »
I guess something a bit heavier like Pantera is good, something catchy but Alternative/Rock like Foo Fighters, or even some *GOOD* rap.

When it comes to sitting down with my thoughts, some classical is nice. I found a channel on Pandora that is something along the lines of "Music for studying" or something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
Man, you guys have good taste in music, but I gotta say if I listened to your stuff too much I'd slip into a depressed funk. Pink Floyd is my favorite for nursing a depressed mood. I once listened to nothing but Pink Floyd for an entire summer. It was a dark, disturbing summer but I produced some pretty awesome art!

But if I want to snap out of it, then it's usually upbeat classic rock from my youth, like Boston, Chicago, Queen, David Bowie, that sort of thing. It's hard for me to feel anxious or depressed with that music playing.

Some punk is fun to blow off steam, like Toy Dolls or Dead Milkmen, but a lot of punk makes me feel angry and so I usually don't play it when I'm feeling stressed.

It really depends on my desired mood, though. I can go for some reggae if I want to feel relaxed. Or maybe some Jimmy Buffet if I'm in a silly mood. Maybe even some true classic rock from the '50s and '60s (The Platters, Beatles, whatever).

Then again other times I'll turn on the classical music. To me the genre is less important than the talent. Good music is good music no matter what "kind" of music it is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bocephus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 01:13:40 AM »
Man, you guys have good taste in music, but I gotta say if I listened to your stuff too much I'd slip into a depressed funk. Pink Floyd is my favorite for nursing a depressed mood. I once listened to nothing but Pink Floyd for an entire summer. It was a dark, disturbing summer but I produced some pretty awesome art!

But if I want to snap out of it, then it's usually upbeat classic rock from my youth, like Boston, Chicago, Queen, David Bowie, that sort of thing. It's hard for me to feel anxious or depressed with that music playing.

It really depends on my desired mood, though. I can go for some reggae if I want to feel relaxed. Or maybe some Jimmy Buffet if I'm in a silly mood. Maybe even some true classic rock from the '50s and '60s (The Platters, Beatles

Right on!  I love Queen!  And 50s and 60s just rocks..  The animals, Sam Cooke, Elvis, the turtles
Bookmark and Share

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »

Some punk is fun to blow off steam, like Toy Dolls or Dead Milkmen, but a lot of punk makes me feel angry and so I usually don't play it when I'm feeling stressed.

It really depends on my desired mood, though. I can go for some reggae if I want to feel relaxed. Or maybe some Jimmy Buffet if I'm in a silly mood. Maybe even some true classic rock from the '50s and '60s (The Platters, Beatles, whatever).

Then again other times I'll turn on the classical music. To me the genre is less important than the talent. Good music is good music no matter what "kind" of music it is.

It seems like the best art comes out of extreme emotion...the kind of thing floyd revolves around. lol

I defiantly agree with you on the talent thing!

Bookmark and Share
"everything will be alright in the end. If everything's not alright, it's not quite the end!"

Tags: