Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: dealing with leaving a therapist?  (Read 72 times)

Offline idkmanpeepsbecray

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
dealing with leaving a therapist?
« on: June 21, 2014, 01:46:15 AM »
i'v been going to a therapist since i was diagnosed with GAD early this year, so about 4-5 months and when i started going i knew that i would be moving some time in the summer. well...it's now summer...and i'm moving in a week  :sprachlos020: so obviously i had to have my last session with my therapist, which was really hard for me because she was the first person that i had ever completely opened up to and just spilled my guts to and i really like her a lot -not in a weird way- she's just so nice and funny and i really looked forward to my appointments because if i was having a really bad week i had someone to talk to about my bad week, if i had a good week i could go and tell her all about it, if i did something that i was proud of myself for -like say, ordering a coffee, or something else that would usually make me anxious- then i could go and tell her and even though its something small that would be meaningless to anyone else, she would make me feel like it was something to be proud of. i had always felt like i would never feel better again and i could never be normal. but after a few months i actually felt like i could get better, and i have her to thank for that.
my last session was really good, i had a really good two weeks and i was in a really wonderful mood, i was generally in a really good place. so we talked about moving, and all the changes that were going to come with moving, the funny things that happened in the previous two weeks, we talked about our doggies, finding another therapist where i was moving, school, family, all kinds of things really. and when i was leaving i really wanted to hug her and thank her for everything she's done for me, but i just couldn't bring myself to do it, and she walked me to my car and talked to my mom for a bit about my progress and said that she was really happy with what a good place i seemed to be in, and then we left...and i felt really good about everything until about 2 hours after i got home and i started to feel really guilty for not thanking her and then i started getting anxious and about an hour later i was on the verge of a full on anxiety attack and i thought "i need to remember to tell Shauna about this next week"..and then i realized that i wasn't going to see her next week...and i just kind of broke down and start crying and i couldn't stop. i just kept thinking about how when i move i'll still be able to see my friends and family again, probably even once a month, but i would never see her again, and i keep thinking about how i didn't thank her and that she won't know how much i appreciate everything shes done fore me and how much shes helped me, and it just made me get really depressed...
so i'v been feeling this way for a couple days (my appointment was on the 18th) and i just feel like it's stupid of me to be this emotional about a therapist and i feel really guilty for being so upset over it. i keep having moment where i think about it and i start to cry again, then immediately after, i tell myself i shouldnt be upset, but i can't stop being upset..and i really don't know what to do

i know this is really long. but i just really need some advice about this and i need to know if other people have felt the same way about leaving a therapist? 
Bookmark and Share
"life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Online crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: dealing with leaving a therapist?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 02:16:34 AM »
Hi idkmanpeepsbecray,

I can certainly understand the anxiety that leaving your therapist can cause.  We do open ourselves up to a therapist in a way that we don't to other people.  They can be such a tremendous support and guide through the difficult path through anxiety.  I am glad you found such a special one, and you should not feel bad about the fact you are going to miss her terribly.  I think that is perfectly normal.  As for thanking her for all she has done for you, I think you can still do that.  You could call her or even better maybe you should write her a letter.  Maybe in writing you will feel more open and comfortable expressing to her just how much she has helped you.  I would be willing to bet that she would keep that letter and cherish it always.  She sounds like an amazing therapist, and I think she would love to know how much she has helped you and how much she means to you. It would make you feel better as well. I hope this helps. 

I would also like to say welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. The is chat room is for members 18 years and older.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline idkmanpeepsbecray

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: dealing with leaving a therapist?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 08:20:55 PM »
thank you so much :)
i think after i move, and i have everything squared away, (and i'm not so emotional >.<) then i'll write her a letter. that will definitely be easier then actually saying the words haha.
i have a bit of a support system on tumblr and most of the people on there are so sweet and understanding; but it can also be a very negative place and not always a welcoming environment :/ so i'm really glad to have found this site because from what i'v read on here, you all are really amazing people, and i can't wait to get to know you all  :action-smiley-069: 
Bookmark and Share
"life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."