Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: need tips on calming down.  (Read 160 times)

Offline keychainz_

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
need tips on calming down.
« on: June 20, 2014, 06:05:36 PM »
okay, I'm starting to realize that anxiety is becoming a big part of my life... last night I felt as if my throat was closing up.. I woke up fine.. I'm having a good day having fun with my family and then when I get home.. BOOM.. my throat feels tight all of sudden.. my voice starts sounding weird and  my nose starts running.. I just get very scared.. can someone please help me calm down.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: need tips on calming down.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »
Calming down isnt really possible during an anxiety attack. You need to find something to do with those feelings. Have you considered intentionally terrifying yourself? With something fictional, that you could stop at any moment if needed. This would give you a great outlet for the anxiety. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FztuiSqZPMg It works for me. Maybe it could work for you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Twins01

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:00:56 PM »
Coming from someone who has suffered with anxiety most of my life I would also appreciate tips on self calming.....I don't suffer from panic attacks although I spend the majority of my life  in an anxious state....like fight or flight all the time....it can be horrible......sometimes I can close my eyes and just breathe for 5 minutes and a friend also gave me a quote to repeat over and over..."In this moment everything is and as it should be" if I repeat this and center myself into the moment I am experiencing the anxiety seems to drift away.....being in the moment rakes away anxiety but it seems very difficult for most if us to stay in the moment....we are always projecting into the future
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 39
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 10:37:09 PM »
I've said this to a few other people and it helps me get my anxiety attacks under control:

Breathe in for four seconds.  Hold for seven.  Breathe out for eight.  Repeat.  It really helps me.
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 11:05:06 PM »
IMO, exercise is the best natural way to control anxiety both in the short term and for long term management. 
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Tags: