Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I need your PTSD insight !! PTSD OR GAD ??  (Read 156 times)

Offline ferrari0909

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I need your PTSD insight !! PTSD OR GAD ??
« on: June 20, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »
About 3 years ago I had a terrible panic attack just by REMEMBERING about a terrible experience with a family member.

I've always had anxiety as a child, not as bad as it is now, it never hindered me but know I have agorophobia sometimes and bad derealization.

What I'm asking is because I remembered this bad experience I feel like it triggered something inside of me and I developed panic disorder. I need help from PTSD people here who really have it to tell me I have it or I just have GAD. I know this is typical of a hypochondriac but I'm just asking for your help.

Symptoms:
Flashbacks--> I feel like when I get a panic attack, or a sinking feeling that It has to do with that bad experience (may just be anxiety)
Nightmares--> I have nightmares maybe once a week where either I am dying or somebody else is dying but I always wake up before it happens.
Triggers--> I have situations that make me anxious but can't really put my finger on a trigger, and I don't really ever avoid this family member. Just that he was in bad situation/ life and death and I think thats what stuck with me.

Was it just traumatic but not PTSD. Everyone I asked believes it is just GAD but I would love to hear other peoples opinions. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: I need your PTSD insight !! PTSD OR GAD ??
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 05:36:32 AM »
PTSD would evolve around a certain event in your life that might have happened years ago. Might have happened only last year. The key thing is, when it happened, you got no help for it at all. Thus a year on, or years on, something happens in your life and it triggers memories of that event. It could be something like a car crash. Bullying in school. Abusive relationship. The sort of things people tend to keep to themselves. So try and think backwards if you can. Has anything bad ever happened in your life? Something that might have frightened you at the time. If you can answer yes to this question, chances are it may need to be dealt with now. It may be that you are remembering it more now by triggers.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline itry31

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I need your PTSD insight !! PTSD OR GAD ??
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 07:53:19 PM »
Sounds like a mixure of the two its common for individuals with PTSD to experience anxiety...they go hand in hand really. Good luck to you. You should seek counseling if u can
Bookmark and Share

Tags: