Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is anyone on here taking Nortriptyline/Pamelor?  (Read 554 times)

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
Is anyone on here taking Nortriptyline/Pamelor?
« on: June 20, 2014, 05:12:01 PM »
My Dr decided since I don't seem to react well to the newer meds we'd try something old school and so put me on Pamelor/Nortriptyline. Is anyone else on this? How is it working for you? Anything I need to watch out for? I'm nervous about taking, but I'm nervous about all new meds. Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Bookmark and Share
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline insights

• Rec's: 114
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is anyone on here taking Nortriptyline/Pamelor?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:14:24 PM »
My Dr decided since I don't seem to react well to the newer meds we'd try something old school and so put me on Pamelor/Nortriptyline. Is anyone else on this? How is it working for you?

I haven't been on nortriptyline, but other tricyclic antidepressants have been keeping me more or less sane, and mostly anxiety free since 1987.

IMHO, it is a pity that they are no longer used much as they have distinct advantages over the newer SSRIs and SNRIs. For example they generally produce less severe initial side-effects and milder withdrawal ones when stopping compared to SSRIs and SNRIs. However, they often have more ongoing side-effects, particularly dry-mouth and constipation, although nortriptyline is better than many of the others in that regard.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Cher

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 09:52:36 AM »
I too have been prescribed pamelor. 25mg at bedtime. I'm so afraid to take it because I don't know how I will react to it. I just can't bring myself to put it in my mouth due to my overwhelming fear of medication. When you take it I would love to know your experience with it. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with concerns.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »
I too have been prescribed pamelor. 25mg at bedtime. I'm so afraid to take it because I don't know how I will react to it. I just can't bring myself to put it in my mouth due to my overwhelming fear of medication.

Unfortunately, pill-phobia is the freebie many of us get along with the main anxiety disorder. Personally, I would have preferred the steak knives because my pill-phobia is so bad that I have to be hospitalized to start antidepressants.

If the Pamelor is in tablet form you could cut it in half, if a capsule then dissolve the contents in half a glass of fruit juice (but not grapefruit juice) and drink only half. Keep the other half refrigerated for the next day. You are very unlikely to have significant issues with such a small dose. The tricyclics tend not to produce severe side-effects anyway. Increase the dose after 5-7 days.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 12:23:45 AM »
Thank you insights, I'm starting it for sure on Sunday night so I make sure I keep on the right schedule for it. Yeah I'd prefer to not have a pill phobia since I need them to help me get over my anxiety. Cher as soon as I take mine I will let you know how I feel. I'm really hopeful this is going to be the one to help and make me feel better since the other 3 I was on made me feel 100x worse than I did before.
Bookmark and Share
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cher

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »
Thanks! I hope all goes well. I just hope I can get over the fear to try it as I have suffered for so long and still won't take most things prescribed to me. The doc said it would help for my neck pain and headaches. Have you heard that before?
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 01:24:38 PM »
I took pamelor when I had my first panic attack/anxiety/depression illness 25 years ago. It took some time for me to go on it (months) as I was trying other things, and finally when a good biopsych (wish he was still in the area) saw me he told me to take more clonopin (quote--you aren't taking enough to put a cat to sleep) which was basically what I was surviving on and ramped up the pamelor.  I liked him a lot b/c he was like a real doctor, he took bp, and checked blood levels of the pamelor to make sure they reached the effective range.  It worked, I got out of my anxiety and depression, though I will say it is not my favorite medication.  It tended to raise my pulse rate and also if I got angry over something I tended to get pretty mad.  However it took me from agoraphobia to several months later going on my own (I was meeting folks I knew at the other end though) to Africa.  I remember having a palpitation on the plane just as it was about to land and thinking , oh well, nothing I can do about it now.  It took a lot of the worry away.  Each persons experience will differ though, I tend to be very sensitive to medications, and am phobic about them, especially the ones used for anxiety/depression.  Eventually I switched to Zoloft which was better for me at that time in terms of side effects, but by then I was already so much better. I think I remained on clonapin while on pamelor, though I may have lowered the dose, cant remember if I actually came off of it during that time.  Oh yeah, I do remember when I first took it I got majorly constipated, be sure to eat fiber with it until your body adjusts, then that wont be such a problem anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 06:26:58 PM »
The doc said it would help for my neck pain and headaches. Have you heard that before?

The tricyclic antidepressants are often prescribed off-label for the relief of chronic pain, including tension headaches and migraines, though the SSRIs are probably better for the latter.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 03:56:30 PM »
I still haven't braved my Pamelor, but yesterday I did have an awesome day. I didn't have any panic attacks, I didn't avoid going out and doing the things I needed to and I actually gardened the rest of the day after running my errands. I think I'm going to wait a little while on the Pamelor and try to do more of what I did yesterday since it seemed to help so much! It's amazing what a day in the sun and working in the dirt did for me. I'm hoping that with a few more days like yesterday I might be back to where I can take Pamelor instead of freaking out about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cher

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 10:07:52 PM »
I'm really glad you had a nice day outside. That's really great. I need a day outside myself but I'm hurting so darn bad that I can't even consider doing it right now. I really wish this pain would just go away so I can get on with my life. I still haven't taken the Pamelor either. Pretty bad to just stay in all this pain and not even try anything out at all but I'm just so scared of these kinds of drugs. 25mg is supposed to be a low dose right? I wish I had a caring person like you to hold my hand and watch over me while I tried it but unfortunately I can't have anyone hear with me all day and I just can't do it alone. I wish I wasn't like this. Wish that all of us on here lived close together so we could get together and help each other through some of these things. Sure would be nice. :) Thanks for all of your support. I always look forward to your replays. I looked for you a couple of times in the chat room but haven't seen you in there. Do you ever go in there?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: