Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: IBS or worse? and stress management tips?  (Read 194 times)

Offline avianwaif

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • artist and crafter
    • Poke This Member
IBS or worse? and stress management tips?
« on: June 20, 2014, 03:01:08 PM »
After my last medical run-in, I've been very, very low key. I've had to eat much, much less then usual, and drink lots more water then usual. My sleep has been disrupted with anxiety - I have trouble falling asleep or turning off the brain, and then I wake up much sooner and feeling less refreshed then when I'm not stressy. I've been very stressed out and extremely anxious about upcoming gallbladder removal surgery. I have IBS-C. About a month before the attack of unknown-cause pancreatitis, my bowel habits began to change. The pattern went from once daily to twice in one day and then skip a day. They've changed again in the past week or so. Now I get mucus in the stool, occasional mucus-only or watery tiny stool, small regular consistency stools (because I'm eating less) and occasional crampy abdominal pain. The hallmark of IBS is a change in bowel habits along with abdominal pain, which can be reported as cramping. I'm trying to not freak out about it. I had some very constipating pain meds in the hospital, and then I went cold turkey off all meds that I'd been taking - including a tricyclic that helped greatly against abdominal pain - and my bowel was (is?) very confused. Do you think I picked up a germ at the hospital ~15 days ago? Do I have an ulcer? Or is it just IBS. I have no fever, bleeding, or constant/severe pain (although some of the cramps and urgency can be bad). I'm seeing my doctor in a few days, and then it's surgery time - my first!, so this is just a weekend-tide-over/reassurance post, I guess. Fellow IBS'ers, what's your experience during times of super high stress, limited food intake, and no meds?

I sort-of think I've handled everything really well. Meaning, I can get out of bed for at least 10 minutes per day. LOL. This is my first health insurance plan I manage myself (not a part of someone else's plan or uninsured), my first actual life-threatening diagnosis, my first hospitalization, my second healthcare team, and upcoming, my first general anesthesia/major surgery. I'm trying to keep a good attitude about it, but I can barely think, let alone eat or sleep. Abdominal bending exercise hurts. What can I do to make this last week or so before surgery - "the big day" - a little easier on myself? I use guided relaxation scripts sometimes, humor, visualization, occasional music, occasional art, and talking to friends and fellow health-anxious "bulletin board allies".
Bookmark and Share

Tags: