Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: what's the longest panic attack you've ever had???  (Read 798 times)

Offline carolina girl

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
what's the longest panic attack you've ever had???
« on: June 20, 2014, 08:28:06 AM »
Hey everyone...I'm curious as to actually how long a panic attack can last...I had what I think was a panic attack a few days ago that last about 2 hours...racing heart, palpitations, feeling like I was going to pass out, couldn't breath, jelly legs so weak I couldn't stand on them, and eventually landed me in the er... do you guys think this was a panic attack? And what's the longest panic attack you have ever had?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: what's the longest panic attack you've ever had???
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »
We have to make the difference been anxiety and a panic attack. A person can have anxiety all day long. Some do. But if just a panic attack we have the bonus of knowing it will always go away. It won't last forever. It may be horrible and frightening. But just keep telling yourself that do always pass. Time can be different from person to person. Two hours was a long time. Such an attack can drain you. But remember, they always go away and stop.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »
Attacks usually only last minutes, but anxiety can last indefinitely.  During an attack try to focus on controlling your breathing.  We tend to actually over breath during an attack.  This is hyperventilation which can give you the levelheadedness, tight chest, jelly legs feeling.  There's some nice deep breathing smart phone apps to help you regain your control. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline firewife

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »
My attacks only last 15 to 20 minutes. If they last any longer I've found it to be that I need to eat or something as simple as seasonal allergies. Try to stop and remember a panic attack is only adrenaline and the sooner you calm the sooner the adrenaline will dissipate.  I though I was having a 2 hour one the other night only.to figure out something I ate was upsetting my stomach and my anxiety took it as a panic attack.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LeftBehind

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »
I've had panic attacks and anxiety last anywhere from seconds to hours.
They last longest when I am awaiting an uncomfortable situation like someone coming to visit, a delivery or a phone call. If I know that someone will be stopping by around seven, I panic until after they leave which could mean being uncomfortable and afraid all day long. When the moment has finally passed, I am exhausted... all that concentrating on breathing, trying to refocus and distract the mind... it can be hard work.
Bookmark and Share
ellipsis

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 09:38:16 PM »
A single panic event can't last more than 20 minutes. Your body simply cannot sustain the amount of hormones and neurotransmitters required to keep panic going any longer. But you can easily chain them, with events linked by about 10 minute gaps. Its hard to notice these because you spend the whole time nervous. This can go on for hours.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Journey2Calm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
I was going to say something similar to Lunatone.  I've definitely had attacks that "chain" for several hours.  I'd panic for 20 mins or so, stop, and then it would start up again.  No fun!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Darkhouss

• KCCO
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
I have had days where something would trigger a panic attack early in the morning , then I would continuously have attacks all day , sometimes many in an hour with different levels of severity. When this happends I'm usually under a very large amount of stress. I'm better now at controlling my panic attacks , sometimes cutting them short or reducing their severity , but a few bad ones still sneak threw..

I personally don't think it's odd to appear as though you're  having a panic attack for an hour or more , I've experienced these feelings many times.
Bookmark and Share
~ Keep Calm , Carry on ~

Offline DeeRuss

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 04:56:44 PM »
Sorry to debate with you all, but I've had panic attacks that last for days. Yes you can have extreme anxiety WITH panic attacks, but the physical symptoms of panic can wreak havoc on my body for days. Even trying to knock out with Valium doesn't always work. I think we get caught up in semantics too. No matter what, anxiety and panic and extreme fear are all experienced differently and to shorter or longer extremes. I envy the 5 minute panic attack! What a crazy thing to envy, right?  ;*)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xjunkie4jesus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 10:34:22 AM »
My panic attacks can seem long but usually what's happening is that it's taking my brain/body a long time to reset itself to my "normal" level of functional anxiety. I DO sometimes feel like the attack is lasting a long time until I realize that what I'm feeling is my brain/body making sure it's ok again AFTER the attack.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sammy Lou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 01:58:53 AM »
Mine usually vary between 20-40 minutes. The worst though was about 4 hours long. I got this idea in my head that smoking marijuana would relax me, because I have smoked very crappy marijuana in the past and felt fine and less tense. Well, my sis got me medical marijuana from a friend, and I guess it was too strong for me or something, because about 2 minutes after taking two hits I suddenly felt the worst panic in my life. It was like the dam was released of everything I had worked so hard to hold back and control. I know what a panic attack is and can usually talk myself into relaxing eventually when one suddenly appears...this though, was on a whole other level. I welcomed death at one point. I must have worn myself out eventually because I woke up and felt fine. I dont think pot is bad or anything, but definitely will not go near it until I can help myself more effectively with my anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 06:17:43 AM »
Technically, a panic attack can't last more than 10 minutes. Usually less than that. But they can easily chain together, oen after the other, in 10-minute intervals (seriously, pay attention next time you have one, and you'll notice repeated 10-minute gaps between major panic symptoms) cause that's how long it takes for your body to synthesize more adrenaline and the like.

But chaining them, ive got for hours.
Bookmark and Share

Offline philp5787

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Keep Smiling :)
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 04:51:41 AM »
Panic disorder is a type of anxiety disorder in which you have repeated attacks of intense fear that something bad will happen.
Bookmark and Share
Master of transformation guide how to deal with depression, stress, anxiety disorders...
http://www.trivedieffect.com/masters/mahendra-trivedi/

Tags: