Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Ringworm, lupus and Lyme diesease  (Read 129 times)

Offline qcd

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ringworm, lupus and Lyme diesease
« on: June 19, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted anything.  I like to think I've been doing pretty good. 

About 4 weeks ago I noticed a ring shaped rash in two places on my left leg.  I had a friend look at it who was experienced with ringworm and he said that's exactly what it looked like.  I bought some OTC ointment (with clotrimazole) and began self-treating.  After ~2 weeks the lesion hadn't disappeared, so I switched to Lamisil cream (terbinafine).  After an additional 1.5 weeks of treating with Lamisil, the rash and not even begun to dissipate.  So I scheduled a doctor appointment.

The doctor examined the rash by sight and palpation and said she was 99% sure it was ringworm.  She prescribed me a stronger medication and sent me home.  She said if it didn't get better in about 3 - 4 days I should go back to the doctor.  It's been about 3 days now and I'm still not seeing any improvement.  To make matters worse, my joints have been very achey for the past couple of weeks and I'm starting to worry that it could be Lyme disease or even lupus.  I feel like I did everything right, didn't initially panic, waited patiently and treated it, went to the doctor, etc., but now it's really starting to bother me. 

I do a lot of hiking but always check for ticks.  I don't remember a tick bite in that location, and the doctor said it doesn't look like a typical tick bite, but I've read that the rash associated with Lyme doesn't necessarily show up where the tick bite occurred.

So has anybody else had any experience with treatment resistant ringworm?

Bookmark and Share
I am not a doctor.  Nothing I say is to be construed as medical advice.  If you feel you are sick you should seek out appropriate medical care.

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ringworm, lupus and Lyme diesease
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »
yep......

four of my kids chased ringworm around for WEEKS three or 4 of years back.  One of them put the script strength on one on her neck and it doubled in size in a few days.   B-;  then went to an over the counter one and it finally cleared up over the next few weeks.    It has been my experience that it can take 5-6 wks for them to go away.

one of my girls was dxd with Lyme in 1/13.   she began exhibiting symptoms late November before.  Rheumy told me since she had severe joint pain, that she'd likely been carrying lyme for several months.  so probably bitten at "prime lyme time" May/June.  we never saw a bite.  she never had any bull's eye.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline qcd

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 03:43:02 PM »
Sorry to hear about your daughter's Lyme diagnosis.  I'm interested to know how you would describe "severe pain."  My joints, mostly my knees and hips, ache, but it's maybe 2/10 pain, not debilitating or anything.  I guess it's more annoying than anything, but definitely noticeable.
Bookmark and Share
I am not a doctor.  Nothing I say is to be construed as medical advice.  If you feel you are sick you should seek out appropriate medical care.

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
my daughter told me of pain right after thanksgiving.  I thought growing pains.  gave her advil, blah, blah, you know the drill.  she did this a couple of days.  One day I kept her home from school.  about the fourth day, she came to me with her arms out, wrists bent, crying.  I had her take a bath.  Her wrists hurt soooo bad she couldn't even use them to get out of the tub.  the previous few days she said the pain awoke her at night and she couldn't move one of her legs.  she was also having significant spine pain. 

that friday morning I took her to the pediatrician.  Ped took one look at her and could see the pain in her face when moving certain joints.  Many tubes of blood were taken.  several tests came back abnormal---platelets, esr and ana.  all of these tests point to an inflammation process going on.  these test results got us to the rheumy.  My mom had RA, so that was one consideration but ruled out.  rheumy ordered blood work again.  this time lyme.  and BINGO.  she was on amoxicillin 500mg 3X a day for 6 months.  she was released from rheumy care last October.  In feb she was complaining of some kinda pain, forget where.  took her to rheumy.  her wrists were a little swollen, she had diminished range of motion and 'guarding' when doc moved wrists.  doc said a little arthritis.  I wonder if she has residual effects from lyme?  anyway she took meloxicam for about 6wks. she gets bloods drawn tomorrow and sees rheumy on the 27th.   LOVE this doc.  she is great fun.  she tells my daughter all kinds of gross stories
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline qcd

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »
I'm glad everything worked out okay for her. :) My pain definitely does not sound like that. 

6 months of amoxicillan sounds really intense, though. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: