Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: scared of seizures. please help :(  (Read 156 times)

Offline Phaseshiftr

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
scared of seizures. please help :(
« on: June 19, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »
hi everybody. i was wondering if you could all help me. i am terrified of seizures. it has actually started showing up in my dreams. never had one... and i am not going to. i don't have epilepsy or any of this. i am tapering off xanax right now (which never worked) so my fear is heightened right now. i have been on over 20 medications since third grade and i am 23 now. ssris, anti seizure meds...(i guess they thought it may help) all of the benzos, ativan, valium, xanax, klonapin, and i have been on benzos for like 7 years. they simply do not work for me. i am following doctors orders doing this and not getting off cold turkey. i am on .75 mg a day and i guess that's pretty low... but my fear of this is so bad when i take a xanax i freak out thinking i may have one. i always calm down with deep breathing though. i can't even take magnesium supplament because i think its going to make my brain fire off too fast. does this sound crazy yet?

i just really need some reassurance.. i am a very stressed out guy sometimes and i just read stress causes seizures or uncontrolled emotions. this makes it even worse. it's a horrible fear. it used to be cardiophobia and i mastered that. fear of passing out... i can master this too. i am afriad my brain wont work right after not being on any medication. since it's all my brain has known since third grade and i am 23 now.

i am afraid to read and even play video games because i am convinced i have some kind of seizure disorder. i don't... only one time the doctor thought i may have panic attacks because of them and i have seizures where i don't go unconscious. i was in a really stressful hospital and i just wanted out. sometimes when i get really stressed out i smell like a metallic blood like smell. only happened a few times and not lately. i read on 100 anxiety symptoms this is a big symptom of panic attacks not epilepsy. i have had sleep studies done... you name it they cannot find anything. my panic attacks aren't brought on by seizure stuff it's brought on by racing thoughts and stress. which i can control with deep breathing.

this just scares the hell out of me and i have read up on all sorts of scary stuff which was a mistake. no more... i would just love some reassurance. thank you all so very much.
Bookmark and Share

Online sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: scared of seizures. please help :(
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 01:43:55 PM »
sorry that you have gotten yourself so worked up.  it isn't fun when anxiety does all our thinking for us.

My eldest has a severe seizure disorder.  so I know a LARGE amount about seizures.

what got me to post on your thread was your incorrect info that anxiety causes seizures.  yeah, they don't.....  let me clarify:  anxiety/stress can cause seizures in people WITH A SEIZURE DISORDER.  This happens to my daughter pretty regularly.    Now there IS a disorder called PNES-- psychogenic non-epileptic seizures.  PNES are attacks that may look like epileptic seizures, but are not caused by abnormal brain electrical discharges. They are a manifestation of psychological distress.  A specific traumatic event, such as physical or sexual abuse, incest, divorce, death of a loved one, or other great loss or sudden change, can be identified in many patients with PNES. By definition, PNES are a physical manifestation of a psychological disturbance and are a type of Somatoform Disorder called a conversion disorder.

Here is more information on PNES.

http://hsc.usf.edu/COM/epilepsy/PNESbrochure.pdf

BTW- I am in NO WAY suggesting you will develop PNES.  I posted this as this may be what you were reading about that anxiety causes seizures. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Phaseshiftr

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »
sixpack thank you so much... are people born with epilepsy mostly? I know rare causes maybe people can start having them for unknown causes. but i drink a lot of water, i eat an all organic diet, i don't take any uppers. no caffeine even.
Bookmark and Share

Online sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »
that is a good question  :yes:

there is the disease of epilepsy.  Some kidlings are born with it.  Often people who develop epilepsy will start around puberty to 17 or 18.  Often epilepsy runs in families.    For those who don't have that kind of seizure disorder, there are numerous other causes.  There is a very RARE genetic illness that causes dangerously bad seizures.  It manifests in toddlerhood or younger.  there is only a few thousand people ever dx'd.  I happen to know a little girl with it.   My daughter's seizures are a result of a congenital brain malformation. Other causes are:  traumatic brain injury  ( don't mean a simple bump on the head, but major head injury as in car crash type stuff), some illnesses that affect the brain, some weird brain parasites, dehydration/heat stroke, brain tumors, really high fevers.  Often once these "other" reasons are resolved, seizures stop.   AND, finally, regular ole epilepsy can develop in adulthood for unknown causes. 

Now my eldest just got home from her dayhab.  so off to give her a bath. 

have a good day.  and DON'T worry yourself about seizures   :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 02:30:32 PM »
oh and illicit drugs can cause seizures...  guess that could fall under heading of brain injury.    and some medications have listed  "can cause seizures while taking X med".  this, obviously is an extreme minority.   
Bookmark and Share

Tags: