Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ssri's and sex  (Read 862 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: ssri's and sex
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »
I went to my PCP yesterday and he prescribed Zoloft. It still sits at the pharmacy and may stay there. In regards to sexual side effects he told me it just takes longer for him to reach orgasm. He himself has been on ssri's for 14 years.What are your thoughts?

The only way to know how Zoloft will affect you, both as a treatment for your anxiety and its impact on your libido is to try it Joe.

Also,  aside from the sexual side effects what are your thoughts on Zoloft?

It can be a very effective med, but whether it will be for you will only be revealed by trying it. No antidepressant is intrinsically any better/more effective than any other, either generally or for a specific condition, however, one or two will probably be for an individual. The hard part is finding them.

Should I give CBT a chance with no meds at all

That is your call. CBT can be at least as effective as antidepressants. Just make sure your therapist has specific training in CBT. Not all actually do.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 24
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »
I would personally like to thank both ShawnW and Insights-Ian for their good points of view and healthy discussion that gives us a balanced overview.

We at this Forum are so lucky to have such great members with their own extensive experience and knowledge.

Before the Internet, before Prozac, back in the late 70's and early 80's we as patients, were left to fend for ourselves with no objective information or reliable feedback, left to the scam artists and unethical doctors that would prey on patients, with medical quackery and fraud.   :( 

What an awesome privilege, to share, and to learn from each other, so that we are armed with information (rewards  and risks, success and failure) that will enable each of us to make a wise and balanced decision, for a healthy mental and physical life, while we are on this journey called 'Life'.

Thank you being part of AZ forum, we are all truly blessed by our member's wealth of knowledge and experiences!  :grinning-smiley-003:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline zav4999

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 03:48:16 AM »
I was also prescribed zoloft. My doc wants me to start on that an slowly wean myself off lorazepam till the zoloft kicks in.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything