Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ssri's and sex  (Read 538 times)

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: ssri's and sex
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 11:45:09 AM »
Wow ... Good exchange of Ideas and Opinions...  :winking0008:

Hi Joe,

1) Ian has excellent information - He really researches his stuff  :yes:

2) The issue with Benzos is not the drug itself - but the people who use it, responsible people will treat the medication responsibly and especially for anxiety patients, they are already scared to death to try any medications.  Just like alcohol - some people are responsible with it, some people will abuse it.

3) What you don't hear - very often, is how these AWESOME medications have literally saved lives, and to withhold them from responsible patients is terribly wrong, and makes no sense whatsoever.  I know, since I have used a small dosage of Valium for the last 15-20 years 5 to 10 mg - and it has vastly increased the quality of my own life.

4) Ian pointed out - "Most people taking benzodiazepines to treat anxiety disorders actually reduce the dose over time" - I not only believe that - I actually am an example of this.  I was initially placed on high dose to control Panic Disorder , of 40-50 mg/day of Valium when I my life was falling apart ,this was years ago - today, after 15-20 years - I AM ACTUALLY USING 10 mg or less per day - and that is skipping days, when I don't feel the need for my sleeping or anxiety.

5) I personally had two brothers, who are now dead, one to Heroin Overdose, another to Mixture of Norco/ Oxycontin with a bottle of alcohol.  Both of my deceased brother showed a pattern of addiction of legal and illegal drugs from an early age - these poor individuals are true addicts -  as Ian stated very well -  Illicit drug abusers use them to boost the effects of opiates, including especially methadone, to dampen the over stimulation of cocaine highs, or to ease withdrawal symptoms.,

6) My personal advice for someone - who is responsible and doesn't have a history of drug or alcohol abuse - is by all means take full advantage of the wonderful and safe medications under a doctor's supervision - they can truly help you regain your life back.  In the end -  people that are seeking help from mental disorders  -  all want to live a physical and mentally healthy life  :nature-smiley-016:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 12:09:20 PM »
PCP yesterday and he prescribed Zoloft. It still sits at the pharmacy and may stay there. In regards to sexual side effects he told me it just takes longer for him to reach orgasm. He himself has been on ssri's for 14 years.What are your thoughts?

Joe

Hi Joe,

Just a suggestion to think about,  :twocents: my two cents .

1) If your main issue is anxiety - I would first try a Benzo - starts to help you within hours not 4-6 weeks like SSRI meds and AD's.  And keep your sex life  :happy0151:

2) If you have Depression and or OCD along with the Anxiety - then - Zoloft is a wonderful medication.  But, you will need wait 4-6 weeks to get the full effects.

3) Keep in mind - that every year - it becomes more and more apparent that Sexual Side Effects from  SSRI and most AD's are underreported, I do know a very few people, that have taken Zoloft or any other SSRI with just minor sexual side effects - such orgasm delay - which would be nice for many men  :happy0151: - but these people are the exception not the rule, most of them have some sort of sexual dysfunction (I am one of them), that often affects your Libdo - which might be a nice thing if you tend to be "Horn Dog" and you "can't keep in your pants", which can get you in big trouble  :laugh3:

Of course, you can always try the Zoloft for yourself and see how your body reacts to it, I would discuss this with my wife... so she aware and supportive of you... I tried to keep it from wife, and she thought I was no longer interested in her  ::).  But that is another Story...  :sprachlos020:

You have such a great group of people here, boy I wish I had this type of information when I was going through my problems years ago... :grinning-smiley-003:

Bookmark and Share

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 01:04:24 PM »
I have treated many primary benzo addicts.

Really? How many epileptics have you treated for primary benzodiazepine addiction? Thousands? Hundreds? Or none like Heather Ashton who supposedly ran the world's first BZD detox centre for 12 years during the very period when many epileptics were being switched to the then new non BZD anti seizure meds, yet never treated a single one as far as I've been able to establish. Given the high doses prescribed to control seizures, typically 10-20mg/day of Klonopin, you'd think they'd all become addicts if what you claim is correct.

They will abuse it, mix it with other chemicals, crush and snort, come up short monthly, go to the streets to buy, give up house, home and family to use.

Nonsense. I don't know any authoritative source, either the FDA, the CDC, or even anti benzo zealots such as Ashton who make such claims. In fact she has often made it clear that abuse is the rare exception, that very few taking prescribed BZDs increase the dose. BZD abuse is almost always a part of polydrug abuse, usually in association with opioids. Illicit drug abusers use them to boost the effects of opiates, including especially methadone, to dampen the over stimulation of cocaine highs, or to ease withdrawal symptoms.

Ian

Considering I am the medical director of a world renowned addiction medicine hospital, and an ASAM certified physician I have much experience treating epileptics with benzo addiction.  My partner is a neurologist.  We treat many epileptics with primary benzo addiction.  Nothing you said, is supported by common sense and practical/texbook knowledge of addiction.  I can site page and reference in the third edition of Principles of Addiction Medicine 3rd edition as my source if you don't believe my experience.  What you are touting here is nonsensical and harmful.

I can tell you with certainty that benzos have a high abuse potential and can be lethal in withdraw.  These are not benign substances to be trifled with and in certain individuals can be harmful in the sense of addiction.  What you are trying to convince me and this community of is that someone who has an addictive nature can safely engage a BZD.  That sir, is the furthest thing from the truth.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 01:06:59 PM »
While I don't know much about the prescibed use of benzos and addiction. I do know that it is a fact that many opioid abusers also abuse benzos. Let me ask a ? Do benzo users need to increase dosage to maintain the same effect, like opioid users do?
Thanks

The death cocktail of Appalachia is oxycodone, xanax and soma.  It was an epidemic and killed many addicts in Kentucky and WV about a decade back.  So, you are correct.  Many addicts enjoy the effects of benzos and they have a high abuse potential.  They abuse them with other drugs but they also abuse them in isolation.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »
Wow ... Good exchange of Ideas and Opinions...  :winking0008:

Hi Joe,

1) Ian has excellent information - He really researches his stuff  :yes:

2) The issue with Benzos is not the drug itself - but the people who use it, responsible people will treat the medication responsibly and especially for anxiety patients, they are already scared to death to try any medications.  Just like alcohol - some people are responsible with it, some people will abuse it.

3) What you don't hear - very often, is how these AWESOME medications have literally saved lives, and to withhold them from responsible patients is terribly wrong, and makes no sense whatsoever.  I know, since I have used a small dosage of Valium for the last 15-20 years 5 to 10 mg - and it has vastly increased the quality of my own life.

4) Ian pointed out - "Most people taking benzodiazepines to treat anxiety disorders actually reduce the dose over time" - I not only believe that - I actually am an example of this.  I was initially placed on high dose to control Panic Disorder , of 40-50 mg/day of Valium when I my life was falling apart ,this was years ago - today, after 15-20 years - I AM ACTUALLY USING 10 mg or less per day - and that is skipping days, when I don't feel the need for my sleeping or anxiety.

5) I personally had two brothers, who are now dead, one to Heroin Overdose, another to Mixture of Norco/ Oxycontin with a bottle of alcohol.  Both of my deceased brother showed a pattern of addiction of legal and illegal drugs from an early age - these poor individuals are true addicts -  as Ian stated very well -  Illicit drug abusers use them to boost the effects of opiates, including especially methadone, to dampen the over stimulation of cocaine highs, or to ease withdrawal symptoms.,

6) My personal advice for someone - who is responsible and doesn't have a history of drug or alcohol abuse - is by all means take full advantage of the wonderful and safe medications under a doctor's supervision - they can truly help you regain your life back.  In the end -  people that are seeking help from mental disorders  -  all want to live a physical and mentally healthy life  :nature-smiley-016:

You speak with reason and sanity.  I don't really disagree with any of that.  In approximately 90% of the population benzos can in fact be a life saving medication.  My point isn't to demonize BZDs, it's to clarify the abuse potential.  But, they need to be used with caution.  They are not benign medications.  they have inherent risks.  People should be cautious when approaching BZDs.  In those with a genetic predisposition to addiction, BZDs are contraindicated and acknowledged by the medical community as such with the exception of life saving procedures.  In this population, they are not safe and can and will be abused.  It can also lead back to relapse to previous drugs of choice.  I watch it every day.  I treat it every day.  Therefore, I want there to be a balance when I see false information being spread.  I think I went rounds with this insight guy a few months back yet he continues to spread false information.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »
I went to my PCP yesterday and he prescribed Zoloft. It still sits at the pharmacy and may stay there. In regards to sexual side effects he told me it just takes longer for him to reach orgasm. He himself has been on ssri's for 14 years.What are your thoughts?

The only way to know how Zoloft will affect you, both as a treatment for your anxiety and its impact on your libido is to try it Joe.

Also,  aside from the sexual side effects what are your thoughts on Zoloft?

It can be a very effective med, but whether it will be for you will only be revealed by trying it. No antidepressant is intrinsically any better/more effective than any other, either generally or for a specific condition, however, one or two will probably be for an individual. The hard part is finding them.

Should I give CBT a chance with no meds at all

That is your call. CBT can be at least as effective as antidepressants. Just make sure your therapist has specific training in CBT. Not all actually do.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »
I would personally like to thank both ShawnW and Insights-Ian for their good points of view and healthy discussion that gives us a balanced overview.

We at this Forum are so lucky to have such great members with their own extensive experience and knowledge.

Before the Internet, before Prozac, back in the late 70's and early 80's we as patients, were left to fend for ourselves with no objective information or reliable feedback, left to the scam artists and unethical doctors that would prey on patients, with medical quackery and fraud.   :( 

What an awesome privilege, to share, and to learn from each other, so that we are armed with information (rewards  and risks, success and failure) that will enable each of us to make a wise and balanced decision, for a healthy mental and physical life, while we are on this journey called 'Life'.

Thank you being part of AZ forum, we are all truly blessed by our member's wealth of knowledge and experiences!  :grinning-smiley-003:

Bookmark and Share

Offline zav4999

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 03:48:16 AM »
I was also prescribed zoloft. My doc wants me to start on that an slowly wean myself off lorazepam till the zoloft kicks in.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: