Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: new meds  (Read 110 times)

Offline Paulashaw81

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
new meds
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »
hi im recently on some new meds,never heard of them before they are venalfaxine anti depresents i was just woundering if they were any good?apperently they are, ive only been on them for 2 weeks whats your views please?
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: new meds
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:39:08 PM »
hi im recently on some new meds,never heard of them before they are venalfaxine anti depresents i was just woundering if they were any good?apperently they are, ive only been on them for 2 weeks whats your views please?

Hi Paula, welcome  :action-smiley-065:

I saw your earlier post:

hi im new here,thought id say hi and tell you abit about myself.im 33 and ive just been diognosed with anxiety/depresson disorder. ive sufferd with depression for many years after a childhood trauma i didnt really deal with properly. so recently it has got bad and i started hearing voices. just looking to chat and hekp from other people with the same or simlar problems.maybe we can supoort ech other

You are taking Effexor - which is a newer class of medications from the SSRI (Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil) - It is technically called (SNRI) (a serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor)  ::) - yeah.. I know - whatever that means .

This is a rather good antidepressant, only your body will tell you - how well it works for you :happy0151:

Remember, it will take anywhere 4-6 sometimes 8 weeks at a Therapeutic Dosage before you see the full benefits.

Two Weeks?  What Dosage on you currently taking?  Any other medications you might be taking?

Again, Welcome to the Forum, there are many people wonderful people on this site.   :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Paulashaw81

Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 03:55:23 PM »
Hi thanx for the reply my nurse said they are good.im on 37.5 mg twice a day. I also take diaZapam 2mg as and wen required up to 3 a day but I try not to take many, and zopliclone 3.75 mg
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 05:48:18 PM »
never heard of them before they are venalfaxine anti depresents i was just woundering if they were any good?

Venlafaxine (Effexor) is one of the two best antidepressants (with mirtazapine) for very severe, bordering on catatonic depression. It may also work well for anxiety. While technically a Serotonin Norepinephrin (noradrenaline) Reuptake Inhibitor at the doses typically prescribed for anxiety it has little if any affect on norepinephrine reuptake and is just a SSRI.

It has one significant problem, it is often one of the toughest antidepressants to quit so I think it is best reserved for severe depression. Its main metabolite desvenlafaxine is marketed as Pristiq. It has a greater effect on norepinephrine reuptake and is usually a little easier to discontinue so might be the better option if a SNRI is required (though I would argue the tricyclic antidepressants are even better).

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 06:11:02 PM »
Hi thanx for the reply my nurse said they are good.im on 37.5 mg twice a day. I also take diaZapam 2mg as and wen required up to 3 a day but I try not to take many, and zopliclone 3.75 mg

Sounds good, It appears you doctors has you covered  :happy0151: 

You have the Diazepam for any excess anxiety and zopiclone for insomnia.

You are on starting dose for Effexor = 75 mg - The dosage will be slowly increased by your doctor as needed, I recall it was 150 mg to a maximum of 225 mg  before you get the full benefits. 

Please let us know how you progress goes,  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Paulashaw81

Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:39:17 AM »
Hi thanx guys I'll let you know how the progress goes :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: