Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared to take Zoloft  (Read 167 times)

Offline jessicap0326

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared to take Zoloft
« on: June 18, 2014, 11:56:53 PM »
Hello everyone,
I am finally sick and tired of being "sick" and tired.  I started seeing a therapist and I went to my GP with my health concerns so she can help me do a full physical.  Therapist recommended it.  He said he cannot help me unless I have an answer from my doctor saying I am ok. 

Anyway, during my physical, I broke down in tears and told my GP everything that has been going on in my mind and body.  She told me she thinks I would benefit from taking Zoloft 25mg per day to start.  However, I am really really afraid of the side effects.  I see a lot of people say it made them more anxious and also that they got sick.  I am scared that if I feel side effects I will think I have a new disease.  Plus, I am scared of overdosing on serotonin.

any advice on how to get over this hurdle.  I would like to take the meds and feel better but I am too scared. 
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared to take Zoloft
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:09:41 AM »
Just take it.

If you do have increased anxiety, which not everyone gets, it will be temporary.  As will most side effects. 

Serotonin syndrome is incredibly rare. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline wolf44

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 11:38:04 AM »
I was kind of in the same boat as you. I did not want to take medication but I was against it. I have had chest pain for 4 months and no one can give me a reason other than anxiety as the cause. Then my anxiety got worse with all the doctor visits and and no answers. So I finally started taking klonopin and Zoloft. I wouldn't recommend any benzo long term if your doctor gives you one.

As far as the Zoloft goes. It takes a little bit of time to work. SO if you feel like it's not working, give it time, it took me almost 6 weeks before I could start to feel better. Unfortunately, my father just passed away and I probably would not have been able to get through it without the help of Zoloft and therapy. Again I made the anxiety worse by not knowing what is going on with my chest.

Plus, Zoloft does not have to be long term. My doctor is already planning to taper me off of it in September. I would recommend it but it is ultimately your choice. Sometimes you have to take that next step to getting healthy. You will know when your ready and don't be afraid. Things will get better.
Bookmark and Share
"We spent half our life crawling around the bottom of a glass bowl, and we ain't going back." Raphael TMNT

The past is all that's gone,
The future is yet to come.
This moment is all our own.
We should live this way,
Just building up our day,
Now and forever.
-Eiffel 65 Song

Offline AlyAmy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 09:12:40 AM »
I would just take it. I take Zoloft and I'm up to 200mgs atm, when I first started taking it I was absolutely fine, I had no side effects and it made me feel so much better. Zoloft helped me so much, it is definitely worth it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: