Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Barometric pressure and anxiety; I'm a human barometer!  (Read 212 times)

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Barometric pressure and anxiety; I'm a human barometer!
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »
My wife and I were having a great day together today; I was feeling quite well and we had stopped for lunch. About halfway through lunch I began to feel dreadful, very suddenly. I felt weak, anxious, and sick. I had no idea why I felt this way but it was clear that my brain was trying to give me a severe anxiety attack. We got the rest of our food to go and left. Once we stepped out of the restaurant I could see that there were some large clouds starting to build on the horizon. My wife dropped me off at home and went off to finish our errands alone while I went to bed to try to rest and relax. Less than an hour later I was startled by crashing, roaring sound, which turned out to be the mother of all hailstorms hammering our house. I have had many similar experiences, and i tend to have my worst anxiety during the times of year when we have severe wind and pressure changes. I can not find any real, scientific literature confirming that anxiety can be caused by barometric changes, but I know that it does for me at least. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Any advice for helping me control this sort of anxiety? Storms don't even make me anxious; the sound and smell of rain and thunder are actually soothing to me. It's just the sudden change in barometric pressure which I think is responsible somehow.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Barometric pressure and anxiety; I'm a human barometer!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »
I do think that is very possible....I know I am like a human barometer because I can always tell when the weather is changing or brewing as I feel pain in past injury sites.  We who suffer anxiety are very in tune to our bodies----what ever physiological changes you had because of the barometric changes, fired off your anxiety alarm, confusing any normal changes with something being wrong.  Very understandable.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 02:59:25 PM »
I have the same issue. I get extreme vertigo and migraines from rapid barometric pressure changes. Really, the best advice I have you already have done: Recognize that its from the barometric pressure change. Then next time you start to feel that way, go to this site: http://www.weather.gov/ type in your zip code in the top left corner. then look at the 3 day history and see that indeed, the barometric pressure has been changing rapidly.

Its what I do. I actually have it bookmarked. But really, you can start to notice these symptoms in advance... sometimes even a day in advance, usually in a more minor form...

What I'm trying to say is, it may get worse in the next few hours. if it does, try not to get too concerned.
Bookmark and Share

Offline afj0823

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 11:22:20 AM »
i get the same way, I have severe allergies and sinuses. And I think it has more to do with the sinuses flaring up that causes this. I take allergy meds everyday and sinus meds the day i feel like it will start to bother me. And anxiety can affect your sinuses more and give you symptoms similar to anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: