Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: frieked out by what er doc had to say  (Read 321 times)

Offline carolina girl

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
frieked out by what er doc had to say
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:45:48 AM »
So I am frieking out today as yesterday I spent my night in the er.  I was on my way home and had got super light headed with rapid heart rate, short of breath, and my legs were complete jelly. Had to pull over and ambulance was called. It was really really bad.  The er doc has terrified me saying I could have pheochromocytoma which is a tumor on the adrenal gland that controls the fight/flight response. So of course I Googled it.  Has anyone else had this scare before?
Bookmark and Share

Online doug65

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: frieked out by what er doc had to say
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:50:34 AM »
Per the Mayo Clinic, this is very rare.  Please disregard what the doctor said.  What you described is a classic panic attack; I'm willing to bet your regular doctor and 8 others would say the same thing.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Online TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:57:06 AM »
Yes many many times and I have also had ct scans and mri's done and no tumor on the adrenal gland.

I so wish people like that would not diagnose without knowing for sure and just assume it could be that because the majority of the time when people do that all they do is scare people into having more anxiety and panic.

I am so sorry that happened to you all those symptoms are so common with panic and anxiety attacks.
Take care
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Offline carolina girl

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 09:09:34 AM »
Thank you guys so much! This particular doc was rather unhelpful. She even told me to "hit the yellow pages" and find an endocrinologist to check for it.  It's the constant  adrenaline rushes that led to her thinking that. Is repeated intense adrenaline rushes common for panic attacks. I know you will have them while you are panicking but is it common for them to be so bad and so many???
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 09:21:42 AM »
Ridiculous. Obviously what you had was a panic attack. What are you doing to deal with your anxiety right now?
Bookmark and Share

Offline carolina girl

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:36:50 AM »
I have been taking Ativan as needed for a few years but I'm getting ready to start on Zoloft. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline eva1227

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 11:52:50 AM »
If that ER doctor really thought for one minute that you had a tumor on your adrenal gland, he/she would have sent you for a CT scan in the ER right then. Sometimes they need to watch what they say to their patients. It sounds like a typical panic attack. I've had plenty of them.

Eva
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 20
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 12:50:18 PM »
How was your blood pressure?  Ok, we have many non-medical opinions telling you what the ER doc said is nonsense.  It's not nonsense just highly unlikely.  A CT of the ABD/Pelvis would only be performed in an ER setting if it was an emergency.  So, if your BP wasn't in hypertensive crisis range, and your vitals were stable it could be worked up as an outpatient.  I would read nothing in the lack of CT.  And while what the doc said to you seems like instilling panic, he/she is doing his/her job by being thorough with educating you on follow-up.  Docs don't like to miss things calling it anxiety. 

With all of that said, pheo is very rare.  With an established panic disorder all your symptoms fit nicely with that diagnosis.  Now, if your BP was 210/100 I would reconsider.  So, the question is should you see endocrine?  I believe so for two reasons.  One is your ER doc told you to do so, and two because you will believe you have this tumor until you put it to rest.  With that said, most adrenal tumors are "benign" meaning they won't spread easily.  They tend to be very treatable.  I say this not because I think you have one but because I want you to know it's not a death sentence.

In a way pheochromocytoma can be a blessing if the adrenal tumor is benign.  Why?  Because it creates anxiety.  You resect the tumor the anxiety goes away.  So, get a second opinion from an endocrinologist and if he is concerned let him work you up.  I suspect it will come back negative but it warrants a look.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline carolina girl

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 03:05:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. The highest my blood pressure was was about 160/90s. But came down pretty quickly to 120s/70s.... I also saw my cardiologist this morning and he is doing a 24 hour urine to see. He also said it was rare but you all know how us folks with anxiety, especially health anxiety, can be!
Bookmark and Share

Online chunkymonkey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 05:21:25 PM »
wow that was kind of mean of the er doctor to say that without confirming with any tests. you shouldve at least gotten a ct scan or something before he said that to you
Bookmark and Share

Tags: