Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Scared. Massive unexplained weight loss  (Read 242 times)

Offline Nichlas224

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Scared. Massive unexplained weight loss
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:16:08 AM »
Hi.. Few months ago i was scared of cancer cause i had lost alot of weight unexplained.. Now its back..

Since january 2014 i have lost from 115kg 83kg without doing any exercise.. I have litterely just sat on my bum for all these months.. Ive had bad health anxiety all these months and i lost my apetite.. But after so many month with health anxiety i oblivious think this is cancer cause of the "unexplained" weight loss.. I feel as going from 115kg to 83kg since january is quite alot without doing anything to loose it. Along with this massive weight loss i also have so many other symptoms such as being tired all day.. no appetite.. no energy and i feel really weak
 and ofcause the weight loss.. Thanks for reading and answers are much welcome  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared. Massive unexplained weight loss
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:20:28 AM »
This is what I always say, of course, first go to the doctor and deal with that. If he says nothing to worry about, move onto the next step. I always go for my peace of mind, gets tests run, etc.... Then,  Meds and/or therapy. I would recommend therapy over meds. Your anxiety obviously has to be dealt with.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 12:53:53 PM »
You warrant a work up, no way around that.  With that said, there are many other reasons people lose weight, are fatigued and have a loss of appetite.  I wouldn't assume the worst.  And, I wouldn't ignore it either.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 195
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »
I don't think your weight loss is 'unexplained' at all.  Anxiety causes weight loss or weight gain depending on the person.  If I get freaky, I can lose 3 pounds over night. Sometimes I will joke with my husband that I need a good anxiety freak out because I need to lose 10 pounds.  Obviously when I have been in those freak outs, I am miserable.  so definitely a HARD way to lose weight.  Back in '96 after the birth of my 3rd child, I lost the 30 pounds I had gained plus another 10 or 15 in two months time.  It was because I was an anxietal wreck.  The other symptoms you are talking about also go hand in hand with anxiety/depression.

Obviously, having a visit with the doc should be done, at least, annually..  But, I am thinkin' the loss of appetite due to health anxiety is going to be the cause and not some dire reason like cancer..
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline shaggy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 01:14:02 PM »
Hey. I lost weight because of anxiety. I had no appetite and all I did was sit around and had panic attacks on the daily. I finally started to force myself to eat at least small meals throughout the day and it helped me get back to my regular weight. I'm eating just enough right now to stay at a constant weight. So yes its probably because of your anxiety but as others said, get yourself checked out first .
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 03:39:34 PM »
My mom once lost 30lbs from stress. That was 5yrs ago

Chances are you are also stressed as well as beong anxious

you're fine op :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nichlas224

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 07:05:38 PM »
Thank you for the replys everyone!! Helped me ease my mind abit :) Im seeing the doctor tomorrow and im hoping he can help me out.. Obviously he wont check me from toe till top with scans and everything so theres no way i could know if it could be something like cancer.. But it is most likely cause of stress anxiety and depression.. I hope  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:20:10 PM »
Weight loss due to stress and anxiety is not out of the ordinary. I've been suffering from anxiety, stress and chronic depression these past couple months and have went from 155 pounds to 135. I also have no 'real' appetite. Like I don't get the normal sensation to eat, but if I go long enough without eating, my stomach will protest and I'll be like "Oh... okay, time to eat, I guess". It's odd.

My doctor knows all of this and he doesn't seemed super concerned about it.
Bookmark and Share
Currently afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Tags: