Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: To my fellow anxiety sufferers  (Read 307 times)

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
To my fellow anxiety sufferers
« on: June 18, 2014, 05:20:47 AM »
You will get through this - but be most important thing is to have faith. Not religious faith but inward faith that this is just a phase - rough seas that you're currently in. But those seas will part and you'll eventually sail into placid waters. One day it'll just happen. That storm will dissipate and you'll wonder how you were even in it. The most important thing is to quench the fear and doubt that you won't. You will as long as you trust in yourself that there's nothing deeply wrong with you and it's just a mistrained sympathetic nervous system. This does not own you - you need to own it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: To my fellow anxiety sufferers
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 07:15:25 AM »
Thank you for the post i960. I agree, the inward faith that we will be alright is really important.  Unfortunately I feel this waivers in me a lot of the time and that this could be my biggest problem.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 07:46:41 AM »
This is the kind of hope and optimism that we need. Good for spelling it out.

However, a dose of realism is needed too. The mis-trained system is likely to reassert itself again and again. The hard truths in our lives, the possible organic factors are not likely to vanish for all time. But they need not vanquish us either. We must always be vigilant, have our coping and fighting ducks in order ready to go into action.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 08:04:55 AM »
This is the kind of hope and optimism that we need. Good for spelling it out.

However, a dose of realism is needed too. The mis-trained system is likely to reassert itself again and again. The hard truths in our lives, the possible organic factors are not likely to vanish for all time. But they need not vanquish us either. We must always be vigilant, have our coping and fighting ducks in order ready to go into action.

agreed.  Once our bodies/brain have learned to over-react, it is likely to always do so.  the key is knowing how to deal with such things adequately without letting it dragging us back down.  I know there have been any number of times it has happened to me.  I have had times, for no apparent reason to me, to get that hangover adrenaline rush feeling----jelly-like arms/legs, weak feeling, jittery.  It can last all day.  Before learning the wily ways of anxiety, it would send me  ;*).  Now when it happens, I acknowledge it sucks but then carry on.  ;D  This also reminds of the fantastic Claire Weekes who described this in an interview

Claire Weekes described her own battle with nervous illness in her final book where she explained how she began suffering when she was 26 years old as she was misdiagnosed with TB for which she became introverted and worried. Her suffering lasted two years, and gave her valuable insight into nervous illness. Dr. Robert L. Dupont describes in his book "The Anxiety Cure" that in 1983, he asked her if she'd ever had panic disorder. She replied "Yes, I have had what you call panic attacks. In fact, I still have them. Sometimes they wake me at night." Dr. Dupont responded by saying "He was sorry to hear that." He described Claire Weekes as looking at him in shock, for which she responded "Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!" 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 08:50:58 AM »
Hi Sixpack, so nice to see you, hear you (ha ha), read you again. The struggle never quits, but we live and learn, support and encourage one another. Grateful for the site and good people here.

It is strange how our mind and psyche can hurt us and also help us. There have been recent noteworthy books by Dan Harris, reporter Channel 7, and Scott Stossel, editor of The Atlantic, on the cover and lead article in the Jan/Feb 2014 publication. We are in good company. Hope you and your family are well. Happy you're back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:01:14 AM »
it is nice to read you again tina  :winking0008:  :goofy: .  you always have very insightful words.

It is strange how our mind and psyche can hurt us and also help us

that is very true.  There can be quite the battle in our noggins--between the conscious, subconscious, fight/flight etc.  It is almost like the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other  :laugh3:  But once things can be reconciled within ourselves, it is almost empowering, wouldn't you say? 

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 10:22:07 AM »
Yes, indeedy, but it takes near constant work and attention, at least for me. So I'm off to tai chi class, zumba gold, and meditation. Then the subconscious may decide, enough of this, and I can wake up tomorrow with all chi (life force) vanished. It is strange how the brain works with us or against us, as you say.

But we soldier on, as someone wrote elsewhere. :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: