Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Brain Eating Amoeba  (Read 157 times)

Offline TMG19952

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Brain Eating Amoeba
« on: June 18, 2014, 12:34:02 AM »
Hello! New here! had to make an account to get some help! on the 16th around 7-8 pm, I went swimming with my girlfriend in her grandma's pool which she tells me is chlorinated (it was blue and you could clearly see the bottom.) but the pump wasn't on so i avoided sticking my head under the water because I have an extreme phobia of the Naegleria Fowleri. But, as I was walking around a horsefly went over my head and to avoid it biting me I slipped and went under water just a tad bit. Water didn't go up my nose enough to make me choke, and I don't remember if any at all went far up, but yet my Hypochondria is making me feel some symptoms, like a minor headache in the front of my head, and my neck feels a little stiff. (It was a little stiff before hand.) I'm freaking out and I can't get my mind off of it. Waiting to get past 5 days is like a death clock ticking away. I have OCD, severe Anxiety and I just need help.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline TMG19952

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Brain Eating Amoeba
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:50:50 AM »
Really freaking out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fluffyanimals

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »
I am sorry you are feeling this way. I've suffered from similar fears myself. Know that if the pool is properly chlorinated and maintained, then you have nothing to worry about. But even if the pool was not that well maintained, the chances are still remotely slim. I live on as community lake. It's small and murky. I see neighbor kids across the lake go swimming in it all the time. The jump in, dunk their head, swim under the water. Makes me shudder when I see them, and I am always worried for them. They've gone in a dozen times over the last couple of years and so far nothing has happened. It's smart to be cautious, but when it bleeds into the irrational it's time to get help for it. Please consider speaking to a mental health counselor about this phobia if you aren't already doing so. In the mean time, to (hopefully) set your mind at ease a little, you can consider going to your local pinch-a-penny or Walmart and buy some test strips and test the water. May save you a few more days of agony.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TMG19952

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 02:19:35 PM »
My neck is kinda achey and I'm feeling nauseous ever so often. I think I'm just thinking myself into the nausea and my neck is hurting because i keep moving it to see and I slept on it wrong. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 02:31:45 PM »
You'd really have to be in some deep backwoods swap to even have a remote chance of getting that thing.  You have a better chance of getting stuck by lighting then having that disease.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TMG19952

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 03:52:15 PM »
The water was also very cold. If that helps. I'm still having a hard time taking my mind off of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 10:36:44 PM »
Ugh. You don't have it. It's chlorinated.

Plus there hasn't been a case where it's gotten somebody in a swimming pool and even if there was one, it's still RARE RARE RARE! Just keep telling yourself that. 0-4 people get this thing every year (usually KIDS too), 0... to 4! Out of millions and millions of people! You're not the first case of the year...
Bookmark and Share
Currently afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Tags: