Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Need help. I'm switching from Ativan to Klonopin.  (Read 324 times)

Offline CDG

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Need help. I'm switching from Ativan to Klonopin.
« on: June 18, 2014, 12:01:18 AM »
I currently take 3 mg total a day as directed.  I start with 1 3/4 at 11:30 am and 1 1/4 at 5:45 pm.  I'm making the switch because k-pin has a longer half life.  My doctor says I can just switch directly to it.  Without any Ativan taper.  She says .5 at 11:30 and .5 at 5:45 will give me the same affect.  Here are my questions..

Is it ok to just switch at that level of mgs without taper of Ativan?  Just to 1 mg k-pin?

My current dose isn't even because the noon part of my day is the worst.  What should my dose be based on that?

From your experience or understanding.. How much K-pin = How much Ativan?

Any other suggestions regarding this is appreciated.  Thanks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Frotob

• Rec's: 3
  • I gots the anxiety
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need help. I'm switching from Ativan to Klonopin.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 02:18:28 AM »
Yes 1mg is roughly equivalent to 3mg of Ativan. . . You CAN crossover directly to the klonopin if you wish, but I'd probably suggest doing it in stages. . . . Just to be on the safe side. It wouldn't take very long. . . I did something similar to this when crossing from ativan to valium.

For example if you take 2 daily doses of ativan (you didn't specify, but should be able to figure it out on your own.) A=Ativan . . K= Klonopin

Day 1| Dose 1) .75mg A + .25mg K Dose 2) 1.5mg A
Day 2| Same as day 1
Day 3| Dose 1) .5mg K Dose 2) 1.5mg A
Day 4| Same as day 3
Day 5| Dose 1) .5mg K Dose 2) .75mg A + .25mg K
Day 6| Same as day 5
Day 7| Two doses of .5mg Klonopin, 0 Ativan.

Essentially you are just doing it in stages, changing one dose at a time, and just taking half the amount in ativan, half in klonopin, before switching that dose completely over to Klonopin. You don't HAVE to do it this way, you can directly crossover if you so choose, probably without issue. But if you run into issues, follow my outline and you'll be fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 04:41:27 AM »
You can switch directly to it because they're both benzodiazepines. However, I *highly* recommend you work with your doctor to gradually taper off of these entirely. There are so many negatives to these drugs.

I couldn't imagine taking 3mg of lorazepam a day. The first time I experienced panic, 1mg was enough to handle it. Since then I think I've used a total of 2mg. I don't even know where the left over pills are right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CDG

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 05:13:17 PM »
Thanks for both of your replies.  Very helpful for sure.  I would like to here from Insights on this if possible. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 07:56:09 PM »
Thanks for both of your replies.  Very helpful for sure.  I would like to here from Insights on this if possible.

Both Ativan and Klonopin do exactly the same thing in the brain so it is possible to switch from one to the other overnight. However, Klonopin tends to be a slow starter as it takes time to build up in the plasma so there is merit in cross tapering as Frotob has suggested.

Also, you need to be aware that doctors are becoming more and more reluctant to prescribe the benzodiazepines which means you may not be able to get prescriptions for them in the future. Even worse when doctors turn benzophobs they will then often try to get their patients off these meds in record time which can create much misery. Therefore, IMHO, these are not good primary, taken daily meds. Antidepressants or therapy are better long term bets.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline CDG

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 02:08:43 AM »
My brain is damaged. It's the only thing that works.  Therapy and antidepressants don't work on what I am dealing with.  Tried it all.  I'm the guy that has to be on them for as long as I can.  I understand the costs.  Here in the states it's not as big of a deal.  Either way it doesn't matter.  Thank you so much for your response.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: