Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: The delicate relationship between Anxiety and Humor  (Read 235 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
The delicate relationship between Anxiety and Humor
« on: June 17, 2014, 09:55:58 PM »
Have you guys noticed the relationship between your anxiety and your sense of humor?
I noticed that my sense of humor went straight out the window with arrival of anxiety/GAD.
I was talking to another anxious colleague and he also noted that he seemed to lose his sense of humor to stress.
That everything became serious.  But did we lose our humor or merely misplace it?

So I tried a little experiment today.  From the start of the day as I rode the bus to work, till I came home -- I've been kind of trying to call forth
my old sense of humor. I'm buddhist so I also chanted to do that. "Bring out my sense of humor. Look for what's funny and sweet in the day."

To my surprise, I found myself smiling through much of the day. I enjoyed myself more.

I encourage folks to try it and see.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: The delicate relationship between Anxiety and Humor
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:58:22 AM »
Well I find I laugh a lot more. I can joke about myself. Used to joke a lot in the chat room. Asking all the agoraphobics if they would like to meet up for a night out.  :laugh3: We could all bring our brown paper bags to breathe into. Simple little jokes. That others found funny. Just the whole idea of such a meeting. Each encouraging the other to go first. In other words nobody wants to take the first steps first. It was something we used to joke about a lot in the room. You need to be able to laugh. Just my own opinion.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 06:08:38 PM »
That's funny inviting agoraphobics for a night out.

Yes, humor is important and healing.  And for me, keeping myself mind of moments of
humor in my life and in the world, just may be a part of my recovery process!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Louve

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 12:20:03 PM »
I know it's quite late to answer, but recently I've been scared, panicking because I lost my sense of humor...!
I had panic attacks with a list of other very fun symptoms of my anxiety during 2 weeks. Now it's week 3 and I feel much better, almost all the anxiety is gone. But my sense of humor is still reported missing / in coma.

When I enter an anxious period (from a couple of days to 2 weeks) I start to dread humor because, unexplainably, it makes me feel very uncomfortable and even nauseous... Like I cannot allow myself to happiness, because I'm generally panicking. And it is difficult to retrieve it.

Sometimes I get what Cuchculan explains but it's more in stressful situations. Like, when working in a very stressful group project that is turning out like a disaster, I breakdown and start to giggle or make jokes of the situation. Not when I find myself helpless during an anxious moment/period though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:15:26 PM »
Hi Louve, the topic is still relevant.  Anxiety has a way of devouring our sense of humor.
And our sense of humor has a way of emppowering our healing and happiness.

One thing I do is keep my eyes peeled for my sense of humor and for the humor in situations around me.
It helps reactivate the humor.  I'm on klonopin now and things are going great.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 59Ballons

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 10:32:42 PM »
I find that when I'm in an anxious state, and constantly feeling weird being alive which I still can't believe is happening, I am not in a good mood. But when I'm distracted, I feel so happy that I am feeling better, that my sense of humor is greater than what it was before I started deep thinking a few months ago.
Bookmark and Share
Distraction is life's best remedy.

Tags: