Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I don't know if my symptoms are real or not  (Read 142 times)

Offline Spartan9323

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I don't know if my symptoms are real or not
« on: June 17, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »

First I've already went to a doctor and am waiting blood test results but I want some other opinions. I am 21 years old and a college student and I've been having some worrying symptoms. First I lost a little weight over the course of the spring semester at college. I was depressed and skipped a lot of meals but I'm not sure if that was enough to cause the loss. I went from 135 to around 124.

In March I had chest pains and shortness of breath so I went to the ER. They took a chest x-ray and blood test and said it was nothing and sent me home and said to take some Tylenol. I felt fine afterwards but sometimes I'll have chest pain when I stretch. A month ago I had a similar attack of shortness of breath and chest pain so I went to a clinic that said the same thing. This sensation persisted for a little while but seem to be gone now. I can still feel some chest discomfort when stretching.

A week ago I started to feel like I was having some sensations when swallowing. Not pain just kind of like I could feel food settle and sometimes it will just feel like I need to burp. I also felt like my throat was thick a kind of lump on my throat feeling. I also found a small lump on the side of my neck last week. I'm not sure if this is a swollen lymph node or something else. I also had more frequent urination last week but it seems like it went away away now. It's hard for me to tell if these are all real symptoms or are a result of anxiety and me googling symptoms. Especially since I didn't really notice my swallowing symptoms until I read about esophageal and throat cancer. I got extra afraid so I went to a doctor who took more blood tests and now I'm waiting. I've just felt very afraid and can't stop googling and reading about different diseases and symptoms. I just want to stop freaking out
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I don't know if my symptoms are real or not
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
All of these sound like they could be caused by anxiety to me, but also, for the most part, they could be caused by Acid reflux - that's what does them for me. Might be worth asking your doctor about it, just incase.

Try to relax, and wait for your blood test results. Your doctor knows what he's doing, so just let him go about his work, and don't worry about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Spartan9323

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:05:47 PM »
This lump on my neck has caused me the most worry today. I feel like I can feel a second lump next to it, but I'm not sure if that's just because everyone been feeling it so much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:29:58 AM »
What you're describing could well be anxiety - especially since symptoms came on after you started worrying about certain diseases - but it does also describe acid reflux really well, as the other poster said.

The lump on your neck could be anything - a cyst, a benign thyroid nodule, a lymph node reacting to irritation.  When you talk to the doctor about your test results you can ask if they think you need to be seen.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: