Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Depression Scare  (Read 126 times)

Offline ericdrobertson

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Depression Scare
« on: June 17, 2014, 04:49:26 PM »
Hey everyone, its been a while since my last post. I have been doing pretty well, i guess. I have, these past 2 weeks, slipped into a bit of a depression. Nothing brings me joy, nothing makes me happy, no hope. The usual...  Here's the point:

My father took his own life when I was only 1 or so. I found this out at about age 9 from my mom when I asked why I had a different last name than the man who raised me (my mom remarried when I was about 3). She told me he was an alcoholic who cheated on her and used drugs and was abusive. I see those as tell tale signs of an underlying mental disorder which I believe I may have inherited. I suffer from bouts of anxiety and depression. What scares me the most though is the creepy creepy creepy and depressing thought that I may one day end up like him. I dont drink, im afraid of alcohol, and I dont use drugs, except coffee lol. Right now though, in this depression Im in, Im extremely afraid of taking my own life. I dont plan on it. It scares the tar out of me. But who really ever "plans" to do that. I here about people all the time who showed no signs of it.

Im getting married in 3 months and I want to somewhat have my life together before I do that. What should I do? I dont like the idea of meds but do they help? It seems to me, all i ever hear is people complain about all the terrible side effects and their ineffectivness. Vitamins? I heard B-12 may help. My spiritual life is a wreck on which im sort of working on but dont want to throw my eggs in that basket quite yet. Any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Depression Scare
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 06:39:27 AM »
Honest answer? You simply don't want to be like your late father. I am much the same. Mine was a drinker. It put me off ever wanting to drink. It can have that effect. Which is not so bad. It means we don't want to go down the same road and make the same mistakes as these other people did. I think you have it in your mind that you never want to do what he did. But you simply fear it may be something that can run in a family. You have made a choice. That choice was not to drink. You have broken any cycle that might have been there. Just like I done in my family. My choice was never to drink. I think you will be just fine. When you have kids of your own you will teach them right from wrong. From all you have learned. Try and stay positive.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Depression Scare
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 02:27:48 PM »
A lot of people "self medicate" with alcohol/drugs to treat depression.  Your dad could have started with simple depression and it progressed to alcoholism.   SSRI's are generally effective at treating people but they're not a wonder drugs.  A good therapist in combo with drugs can help.  Vitamins... you should check with your doc before supplementing.  I found out I was vit D and testosterone deficient.   

AS far as cognitive... my therapist made a good analogy.  When people diet you hear "you are what you eat",  well your mind is the same way.  If you only put negative thoughts in it, thats all you'll get out.  Break that cycle by doing something when your feeling down.  I bought some drawing books from AC Moore and really enjoy drawing landscapes.  Do something creative that takes your mind off the depressing thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: