Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone given up coffee because of anxiety?  (Read 196 times)

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone given up coffee because of anxiety?
« on: June 17, 2014, 11:39:10 AM »
i LOve coffee  :spineyes: but it makes me anxious.... I gave it up because of acid reflux and IC.... but since I started lexapro 2 weeks ago and a bit sleepy (not bad) so I started drinking again....  I had coffee for 4 days in a row now and I am afraid I will become addicted to it again... but I KNOW it's not good for me at all....

has anyone given up coffee for good?????
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone given up coffee because of anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:43:15 AM »
I gave up drinking coffee three weeks ago.  I used to only drink about 1/2 cup each morning and an occasional Starbucks Mocha   :winking0008: but so far, so good.

I LOVE coffee, too, but I really haven't missed it that much.  When my husband drinks his coffee, just the smell of it brewing makes me want some but I just have water. 

I gave it up because of my anxiety and palpitations.  Honestly, I haven't noticed a bit of difference but I'm still going to go without for now.  I do have other things, however, that have caffeine in it like chocolate or Excedrin Migraine so I am getting caffeine.  I often wonder whether drinking that 1/2 cup again each morning would really matter.

I did try brewing decaf, but I really notice a taste difference.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline AlwaysAnxious36

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 12:23:56 PM »
I have given up coffee as well.  Because caffeine is a stimulant I was advised to give it up as it was creating worse anxiety issues for me.  I too miss it and its not like I won't treat myself to a coffee every now and again, it just means I don't drink it daily.   :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
I did while I was on Xanax, but once I got my anxiety down to manageable levels, I started drinking it again. It was actually pretty good incentive to try and work on my anxiety!

Drinking it won't hurt you, and in terms of things that are "bad" for you, coffee's actually pretty innocuous. But if it makes you uncomfortable or worsens your anxiety, then don't drink it—simple as.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Lindsay2427

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »
I'm addicted to coffee and haven't noticed any side effects or extra anxiety from it. Could you try decaf or half caf to get the taste but no side effects?
Bookmark and Share

Offline LotusFish

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 04:39:30 PM »
I haven't given it up but I have definite cut back. I have one cup a day and sometimes none at all. I'm definitely less dependent on it which is nice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jilllayy

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »
i loveeeee coffeeeee! (iced) but i was never good with drinking caffeine. i always drank decaf and it still made me alittle anxious. i have no had coffee since giving birth to my son 5 months ago! holy crap! my anxiety has been high after him but since its pretty much gone i think ill give it a go!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kavenchols

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »
For people who already suffer from anxiety, caffeine can spur panic attacks, and for those who don't normally feel anxious, caffeine can cause anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »
Short story:

I used to 'LOVE' caffeine. Not coffee as much as caffeine. Upwards of 1200 mg's a day (on many occasions I had well-over what could've been lethal 2000mg+).

One day, my friend introduced me to amphetamines. I had already established a huge tolerance for stimulants and taking just an introductory dosage didn't really affect me. So I took 3x a high 'daily' dosage 150mg and 600mg of caffeine (which was normally a drop in the bucket for the tolerance I'd acquired. I was not aware of the quadruplicate intensity amphetamines caused to caffeine combined). Worst f**king anxiety of my life. Real and unadulterated horror. It felt like death crawled into my spine and threw a Halloween party. And it lasted 36 hours; the entire duration of which I was very much awake.

I stopped taking caffeine and amphetamines after that incident.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline StrongintheFaith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 07:30:27 PM »
I don't drink coffee but I did give up caffeinated drinks, and I've noticed a difference for sure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nikol373

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 07:48:59 PM »
I'm currently undergoing caffeine withdrawals as we speak. (Headache Wahh  :( ) It definitely brings on my panic attacks when I am in the middle of an episode. Once I am stable I will probably go back. I hate having to take more klonopin than necessary to come down from a bad coffee trip! Lol.
Bookmark and Share
"Fight fires in your best clothes,
Touch skin with your eyes closed,
Chase thunder...
With the volume down
Pack a suitcase, wander to the next town..."

Tags: