Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone else get panic attacks (or cardiac worries) when exercising?  (Read 149 times)

Offline Alphaba79

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hey everyone,

I have been doing very well with my health anxiety for the past few months but recently my cardiac fears have re-emerged. I am desperately trying to get back into exercising. When I was 22/23, I was in the best shape of my life. I went to the gym almost daily. I had small issues with anxiety (GAD) mostly because I lived alone but was otherwise in excellent health.

When I was 24, I was in yoga class one day during a shoulder stand and felt a small "crack" followed by intense pain. I immediately collapsed into a full blown panic attack. My whole lower body went numb and I thought for sure I had broken my neck and paralyzed myself. I was rushed to the ER where all tests came back normal and the doctor ruled it as "overexertion caused by exercise".

Ever since that yoga event, exercising has been extremely tough for me. I tried going to boot camp shortly after that incident but found I could not. I experienced another full panic attack and my legs felt heavy and rubbery.

I am 26 now and am trying to get back into shape again. Every doctor or therapist that I've ever had always recommends exercise as a means of managing anxiety symptoms but for me it's tough because a good work out very closely mimics a panic attack.

Lately in the gym, my cardiac fears have re-emerged. I am experiencing palpitations during workouts, dizziness, lightheadedness, some chest discomfort and yesterday I was yawning constantly during my workout (Of course I broke the golden rule and looked up yawning during workouts and found this could mean a cardiac condition!!!) I'm desperately trying to reassure myself. The dizziness is caused by my inner ear problems from my seasonal allergies, the lightheadedness is from being dehydrated, the chest pain is anxiety, the yawning is because I haven't been getting enough sleep, etc.... but it's tough. I should mention I have had countless EKGs over the past 2 years (the last one was in March), an echocardiogram 2 years ago, and have been to the ER at least 6-7 times. I have also had multiple blood tests and heart problems do not run in my family.

Does anyone else find exercising tough either because of cardiac fears or the fact that exercise can feel like a panic attack?
Bookmark and Share

Offline doug65

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone else get panic attacks (or cardiac worries) when exercising?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 01:20:50 PM »
Yes.  I'll admit it hasn't been easy, but I keep at it.  IMO, exercise is the best anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med out there.  Your heart is stronger than you think. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline ivyt73

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 06:27:12 PM »
Yep,
I have this issue too.  I used to do Body Pump and Zumba but I would get racing heart and then I would feel like I couldn't catch my breath and pretty much get in to a panic attack and leave.  It sucks, I still walk 4 or 5 miles a day every day but the intense stuff is hard for me and my anxiety about breathing and heart issues.  I sometimes even try to get this when walking but I just tell myself I am just walking it is fine. 

It sucks but like the other poster said you just have to keep at it and ease back in to it.

Ivy
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 12:14:58 AM »
exercising has been extremely tough for me. I tried going to boot camp shortly after that incident but found I could not. I experienced another full panic attack and my legs felt heavy and rubbery.

I am 26 now and am trying to get back into shape again. Every doctor or therapist that I've ever had always recommends exercise as a means of managing anxiety symptoms but for me it's tough because a good work out very closely mimics a panic attack.

Does anyone else find exercising tough either because of cardiac fears or the fact that exercise can feel like a panic attack?

Hi Alphaba,

If you are having real Panic Attacks - while exercising you may have the same condition I have and many others:  "Exercise Induced Panic Disorder" - which is a chemical reaction that your body goes through.

Here is my story:

Many years ago I would love to workout but found myself in ER, when I would exercise vigorously... After the ER got tired of seeing my face, I went to a neurologist (in 1979) to later find out that the Lactic Acid being produced naturally by my body while I was EXERCISING - was triggering massive panic attacks.

Today, we now know that there is a  direct connection for some lucky people like myself, that produce high levels of Lactic Acid = Panic Attacks.

If this might be the case for you, check with your doctor:

1) It can be quickly be controlled by a low dosage of Benzodiazepines an hour before working out (I used to take 5mg of Diazepam before my workouts and never had another panic attack when exercising - Now that I am on Prozac 20-40mg per day - I don't have any Panic Attacks when I exercise hard).

2) Some people have found success with Beta-Blockers before workouts.  (not as effective or reliable for me as the Diazepam).

3) Natural Techniques:  some people who are using natural methods such as pacing your workout and drinking a lot of water to offset the Panic Attacks. 

Again, your doctor would be able to give you the proper guidance in this, just make to mention this Lactic Acid Disorder, in only affects some people, before I had Panic Disorder - I could workout, until I physically got sick - BUT NEVER A PANIC ATTACK.  Having Panic Attacks is NOT normal when exercising, a little anxiety yes... but not a Panic Attack.

I found the following link helpful and interesting - about a person who is able to control Exercise Induced Panic Attacks with WATER - H2O :yes:

http://www.thechurchesofgod.com/HOW%20TO%20STOP%20PANIC%20ATTACKS%20FOREVER.htm

"I used to have panic attacks and really bad anxiety. I found a simple solution by accident. If I felt extreme anxiety or a panic attack coming on, I would drink 1 or 2 glasses of water straight down, and it stopped it every time. In about 2 minutes I would feel a calm come over me. It has never failed me yet. I found that eating foods high in sodium can trigger anxiety, or just being dehydrated can trigger anxiety and even full blown panic attacks. Come to find out, dehydration is a major cause of fearful feeling, hyperventilation and anxiety. I try to drink more all day long now, and I have no anxiety or panic attacks anymore. Good luck! "

Hope you find this information helpful, let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to help you with   :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Tags: