Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Genuinely tired of my life, and been told I have heart failure :(  (Read 338 times)

Offline ahrimoniac

• Rec's: 2
  • Brain like a sieve, face like a smacked bum
    • Poke This Member
Afternoon all

Three or so months ago I was at the gym, exercising, when I started to struggle to get my breath.  Up until that point, I was doing really well, but decided to nip along to the doctors to see what had happened for a couple of weeks after, whenever I walked even a short distance, I was getting out of breath.

Original doc did an ECG and said I'd had a heart attack, which was pretty frightening. Then I had a second ECG done where they turned around and said I had a tiny blip but nothing to worry about, and that a heart attack was a definite no. They then sent me for a chest x-ray which showed a lump in my lung, which panicked me, but then that turned out to be nothing. They've recently done another ECG in the hospital and I got a copy of the letter they sent to my doctor (they sent it to me, else I wouldn't have read it).

The letter reads: 'Patient was a poor echo study (which I imagine is because I'm fat) but has at least mild LVSD on his left side'. Because I was drunk when I opened the letter, I looked up LSVD (I normally stay away from google) and it is basically heart failure. My partner went mad at me because I've basically told myself I'm dying, but I have loads of symptoms which correlate with heart failure - fatigue, vision problems, bloated belly, depression, swollen ankles, breathlessness. I've been told to go to a heart clinic for more tests but it's not for a while. Everything is glacial here in the UK but at least we don't need to pay for it.

In terms of my anxiety, it's creeping back up - but are you surprised? I've had two cancer scares (they also found a hard lump in my man-boob) and been told I'd had a heart attack. I got really bad last year and went on medication which sorted me out, but this is taking some getting over. I don't know if I'm reading too much into the letter but I've got no-one to really ask and I'm definitely not going to google again!

I'm a youngish guy, 29, who up until the first 'panic' was doing really well at the gym and genuinely feeling like I was turning my life around. I'm 22 stone, 6ft 1. Non-smoker for three years, smoked for three. I used to eat a lot of crap, but cut all that back.

Is my life over?
Bookmark and Share
http://shakerattleanddroll.wordpress.com/ - my own personal blog about my journey with health anxiety. I'll laugh, I'll cry. Might even be a few cheap jibes. It's not all po-faced and woe is me, and I try to write positively about what is helping me. I would welcome any feedback!

Offline ahrimoniac

• Poke This Member
Re: Genuinely tired of my life, and been told I have heart failure :(
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:41:34 AM »
Just realised - the reason I'm posting this is because part of me thinks my breathlessness and swollen ankles and vision problems is just my anxiety rather than a dicky heart, but I'm struggling to balance the two!
Bookmark and Share
http://shakerattleanddroll.wordpress.com/ - my own personal blog about my journey with health anxiety. I'll laugh, I'll cry. Might even be a few cheap jibes. It's not all po-faced and woe is me, and I try to write positively about what is helping me. I would welcome any feedback!

Offline ahrimoniac

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:43:43 AM »
Ha, and I should also add, this time last year I was convinced that I had Parkinsons, MS, ALS. I beat that worry into a tin hat. So I know that if this is anxiety, I can beat it. I just need some thoughts...
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 11:21:50 AM »
I have never heard of heart failure at someone your age. Maybe something else is causing your symptoms. A cardiologist would be the one to officially diagnose you.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline ahrimoniac

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 03:01:34 PM »
God I hope so :S
Bookmark and Share

Offline jilllayy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 05:27:35 PM »
my ech said i had ischemia in my heart which is lack of blood flow which could also be heart failure and i definitely DONT! have it. i wouldnt worry too much. try and stay calm until you have your tests
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 06:57:22 PM »
Tests are extremely thorough now that they show things which wouldn't have been seen before. This of course seems like a good thing but many times it just causes anxiety for the patient who quickly jumps to conclusions about ailments found that are completely benign. For instance, I recently had a stress test and other cardio related tests. They mailed me the results as well and when I read them, they seemed terrible. It mentioned a malfunctioning valve, artery deterioration and lack of oxygen to the heart. I literally thought I was dying and couldn't believe in what shape I was in even though it correlated to all the symptoms I have. Well, after going back to the doctor for him to read the results, everything was explained and everything I thought was bad was normal. The valve malfunction is benign and I was born that way. The artery deterioration is completely normal because my he sent este are so good that everyone comes out with the same result. The lack of oxygen was completely misread on my part and not what I thought it was. Basically, we aren't doctors and only a doctor can read your results correctly. Your life isn't over. Live healthier and take control of your physical well being. Your anxiety is in control right now and that's what you need to work on stopping.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 07:03:34 PM »
I want to add 22 stone is not THAT heavy. Overweight, yes, but enough to cause a heart condition at your age? I'm dubious.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Tags: