Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Premature Brain Atrophy--help  (Read 260 times)

Offline nabila12

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Premature Brain Atrophy--help
« on: June 17, 2014, 09:35:33 AM »
I went to the ER yesterday for a couple of fainting spells and they did a head CT. While they did not find the cause of the fainting spells, this morning when I was reviewing my test results from the ER, I noticed that the head CT said "Slight prominence of the CSF spaces could represent premature atrophy. Correlate clinically. " Of course I immediately thought of Alzheimer's, but a Google search turned up all kinds of other fun diseases that cause premature brain atrophy, like Huntington's. Now I am scared to death. Obviously they didn't think this information was important enough to share with me in the ER, but I have an appointment set up with a doc on Friday to discuss these results and hopefully NOT "confirm them clinically." Please help me! I am freaking out! I should add that I have no neurological symptoms like weakness or blurred vision or any symptoms of dementia.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 197
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Premature Brain Atrophy--help
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »
the thing that sticks out in the report is the words "could represent premature atrophy"   
Which means to me---an option but needs to have some clinical evidence to back it up. remember brain scans can show any number of minor dohickies  that MEAN ABSOLUTELY nothing.  Your thinker could have always had a "slight prominence".   
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:41:30 AM »
Thank you, sixpack. That is a very good point.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 02:49:52 PM »
Anyone else want to weigh in? I am really scared about this!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 03:46:57 PM »
Probably best that the rest of us don't weigh in, not many (if any) of us have a lot of knowledge on that. I think sixpack would know the most about it of any of us on here.

Take it up with your doc, it could have always been like that and just be your norm.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Dragi316

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
I had a ct scan 8 years ago and they said i had brain atrophy . They said it could be something I  were born with. But I really wouldn't worry
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 05:10:45 PM »
Thanks, Dragi.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jilllayy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »
i had a ct scan done of the abdomen and it said i had hydrouretornehprosis and no one said a thing to me.

this means i could have had a blockage or breakdown in my kidneys but i had no symptoms and a follow up showed that it cleared lol whatever it was
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »
Wow, Jilllayy--I can't believe they didn't say anything to you! Thank goodness you were OK!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jilllayy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
I agree, but that just goes to show you that they probably didnt mention it because their is no evidence to back it up and maybe it is just a glitch. im sure your fine!
Bookmark and Share

Online thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
Huntington's causes a breakdown in a specific pattern. I don't know what your scans looked like, so it's hard to speculate. I would guess if they suspected Huntington's it would be listed as a possibility.

It sounds as if this could be an entirely normal feature of your brain, so I wouldn't get too worked up.

Plus, unless you have a family history of Huntington's, it's out of the picture.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »
Thank you, nom. I really appreciate your post. I had a CT scan about five years ago, so it will be interesting to see if they made note of any atrophy on that one. My primary care doc should still it have it on record.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 05:38:33 PM »
Well, I saw a general practitioner today and she called the radiologist who performed the CT to see if he could compare it to the one I had in 2009. He couldn't find it, but he reiterated to my doctor exactly what he put in the CT report, that his findings were not normal for a 34-yr-old. My GP is sending me to a neurologist, who will likely order an MRI. I have no family history of neurological diseases like Alzheimer's, dementia, or Huntington's. I am just so scared. I can't find much information on premature brain atrophy and I am now worried that what I thought were strictly psychological symptoms like depression, anxiety, and some apathy I experienced months ago but have snapped out of, are symptoms of some terrible disease. I had a neuro exam in the ER that I passed and I have no symptoms of dementia, language problems, or movement problems. I am not sure when I will be seeing the neurologist. Still waiting to hear on that. In the meantime, and until I have and get the results of my MRI, please keep me sane. I fully admit to Googling, and in some ways, it was a bit reassuring, as the only things that came up for "premature cerebral atrophy" were related to Cushing's Disease, which I was tested for and was ruled out, and MS, which I have no symptoms of and for some reason am not scared of. Please, I could really use some support here. Thank you!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
Talked to a Dr. online and he said CTs aren't really the best way to image the brain. MRIs are much better. Also found a radiology site where MRI images were posted and a doc was asking for diagnostic help. That patient was 39 AND had neuro symptoms and his CT scan showed premature atrophy, same as mine supposedly does, but all the docs who looked at the MRI said it showed no atrophy and was totally normal! So these things are giving me hope. I know we aren't supposed to Google, but in this case, I found it reassuring.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 07:16:02 PM »
Well, got my neuro exam scheduled for July 10. Wish me luck!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: